California emission question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwood logger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I live in hippie,yuppie,tree hugging california,and have had about all I can stand with the emmision regulations. Does anyone know if the new saws,mowers and trimmers in oregon or nevada would be less riddled with emmision rubbish? I am mostly concerned with the stihl 460 since that will most likely be my next purchase. It would be about a three hour drive to oregon for me,but maybe worth it!! plus no sales tax there!

No first-hand answer, but I wouldn't think that it would be that hard to open the muffler up, adjust the carb, and get the saw back where it should be. I don't think that the older models have been completely loused up by Cali yet, just choked down a-plenty, though I may be wrong.

dollar for dollar

are cali saws the same price as rest of country? if so i would just buy from another dealer and have it shipped to you or go to another state to buy the "real deal" why spend all that money for a 460 that could be a 390?

A lot of things seem to be different in Ca. A customer came into my store asking about a Husky 338 XPTC 45CC version that was for Ca. and was sold by Baileys. I didn't think that there was any such saw, but we checked the website and there it was. I called my Husky rep to find out what the deal was, and this is what he told me:

In order to get some more power out of the saws in Ca., Baileys actually puts their own 45CC cylinder in the saw. The extra CC's just about bring the power up to where a non-CA. 338 would be. Also, there is no Husqvarna warranty on the saw. The warranty would be up to Baileys, who from what I hear are pretty good people.

I know where you are coming from as I live near Woodstock, NY, ("THE" Woodstock), and we have more than our share of people out on the fringe.

The local saw shop is selling the 460 for $800 and that includes a 32" bar and chain. I am not sure what they go for elsewhere. It sound like getting one from out of state would be the safe bet. I am sure the dealer here or there will say what ever I want to hear to get me to buy from them.The great thing about this site is being able learn from knowledgable people, so we can shop smart!!!!!

Good to hear from you again randy. when I was up in your part of the state recently I could not beleive the gas prices up there (3.19). I thought Humboldt was about the highest around, but you were .20 higher then us. Have you guys been higher then us consistantly? well anyhow back to a fun issue,If you are going to be in a saw shop I would like any info you could get, or you might be able to just give me the name of a good saw shop north of the border so I could call them. that might make it easier for you.:chainsaw: (still interested in your parts you mentioned) Im still off work from my cut leg,It kills me to think that trees are growing,getting cut and logged and I am missing all of it!!! If I could do it over I would cut my leg with a pioneer instead of a husky!!!:chainsaw:
TALK TO YA LATER!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that the 361 though 880 are the same for the entire USA - no special model requried for California.

Does that mean my little 017 is not all it could be? If so, why do they have to cut pollution on the small saws and not the big ones? When I bought my stihl weed trimmer back in 96' the dealer said "good thing your buying one now, next year they will have emission restrictions on them".

COMMON SENSE IS NOT SO COMMON THESE DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back