Calling All Motorheads!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello fellas

I need to know about a chainsaw motor that could best be used for powering this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LWX9-D8Obc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI49KlhDVXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=xZUri3eFHAk&feature=channel

I here stihl makes a forestry saw (magnum models) with 9 BHP
are there any other motor platforms I could use to get this vehicle to "get up and boogie?"

All ideas welcome....
It will obviously cop a bit of port work, and have a serious pipe attached.

There are other guys who use Solo 90cc motors, etc. I just need to know there is something out there way more tough than a hobby engine (Komatsu make a motor known as "Zenoah" - not bad, but I'm sure there are better)
thanks,

Dazza:)

Why such large engines for a relatively small model car? The one on that car appears to be from a trimmer or such. It's just a small clamshell engine. The large engines recommended I would think would be way too big and heavy for such a model, more appropriate for a cart to carry a person. I would think even a ported 260 engine would be a huge increase over what's in it. What's the cart weigh?

Last edited:
Why such large engines for a relatively small model car? The one on that car appears to be from a trimmer or such. It's just a small clamshell engine. The large engines recommended I would think would be way too big and heavy for such a model, more appropriate for a cart to carry a person. I would think even a ported 260 engine would be a huge increase over what's in it. What's the cart weigh?

Top Fuel Drag Cars don't run small block chevys.
I knew a guy that had a 5 foot RC boat with a Mac
kart motor and it was a blast. Thing would do around
60 mph.

Quickdraw makes some real nice motors though they are all marine .. You could convert it to Methanol and have no issues tho, just ru nthe jug wet...

Rick

That's all well and good, fellas; but I'm trying to keep it simple....an air cooled saw motor. No methanol, (eats crank seals) no nitro, just top notch petrol + a good oil is all I need (and the need for speed, of course)

:):):):)

The current engine. Is that a Zenoah? We have the Baja 5B from HPI with that motor here in the states. It's a total dog. They make alot of noise, and that's about it.

Any mid-range late model saw engine will flat out haul ass. I'd recommend 50 or 60cc's

:rock:

Definately keep us updated.

The current engine. Is that a Zenoah? We have the Baja 5B from HPI with that motor here in the states. It's a total dog. They make alot of noise, and that's about it.

Any mid-range late model saw engine will flat out haul ass. I'd recommend 50 or 60cc's

:rock:

Definately keep us updated.

Yep it's a poulan motor 44 or 46 cc, whatever.
Give me a choice of saw motors, guys! Bike engines are OUT
Rotax kart stuff is OUT
Other kart motors are OUT
That gear may be good to haul a fat mechanic round a track, all I need to do is push 20kg of home grown toy car down a staight road.

Thanks......:dizzy:

Muddy the car looks good finished. I clean forgot about your project, it's been a while since i visited here. I'm not sure what kind of weight you want to lug around but Stihl MS660 claims leading class power to weight. Don't quote me exactly but 7hp and 7.5kg rings a bell. Theres sure to be plenty of other opinions. Would be cool to get a sponser for a new one but, they run to the tune of 2 grand now, cheeper I guess without bar n chain.

A hot 361, get one of the top builders to hook you up.

First time I'v heard Judus Priest in years. . . cool.
Later,

Any of the large(50cc+)modular Stihls, Husky/Poulans, Echos, Macs, etc.

290, lots of aftermarket piston and cylinders available for this model

All newish Poulans

The plastic Echos

Any of the Macs in the 1-10/610 series.

If you stick with the modular units then fit up is pretty straight forward and a lot of crank case cutting/grinding time is reduced. If you have access to a junk yard then it is time to look for back pack blowers and cutoff saws.

Back