Can a topped tree be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simple

Reaction score
I moved into a new house last year. The tree in the backyard was topped, although I don't know how long ago. Here is a picture: http://www.whitecastle.net/sick.jpg

Is there anything that can be done for this guy? It has all the telltale signs, cankers, sunburnt bark falling off, an explosion of twigs off the stubs. I really like the look of the trunk and would like to save it, but I can't seem to get any advice on how to do that. Everyone tells me just to have it removed.

Advice?

There is a lot that can't be seen from your photo but assuming that the epicormic shoots are healthy it can probably be salvaged for many years. Irreparable damage HAS been done but that doesn't make ita hopeless.

Butch, Agreed ,but does the owner think the location is so terrible? I get paid to prune things so that they can stay in locations where thye should never have been planted. I advise about placement but lots of owners inherit poor landscape planning- a few listen to good advice but some can't believe that "this little ol' tree is going to require lots of pruning maintenance in 15 years if placed here." C'est la vie!... Blech, phooey, gag, French again. :rolleyes: ;)

MasterBlaster said:
Remove and replace, and be done with it...I think it's in a terrible location
Mr. Blaster, I think YOU are in a terrible location too, but I wouldn't remove and replace you.

Trees can be very compatible near houses. In terms of safety, it's the trees far away from houses that can smash into them. Ones this close tend to just lean on the house if they fail; the topping job was a mindless operation done for the wrong reason.

To restore this one, wait til august then snip off 1/3 of the shoots, the ones that are weak or not able to become permanent branches. Do the same thing next august, or the following winter. Take other care for it per the link below.

It won't live forever but it may outlive us if properly cared for. The best idea may be to plant another by the lot line as a replacement, and cut this one when you feel it's time. What kind of tree is it? If you don't know post a picture of a shoot with leaves.

Thanks!

I don't actually know what kind it is, but will take some better shots. I do know that the structure you see is not the house, but the garage that was built about 10 years ago, so originally, this tree had lots of room. The house is actually just out of sight on the right of the image.

I am thinking of removing the whole branch on the right. That seems to be in the worst shape and with give it a little more room. If all else fails, I will take a cutting and let this guy live on as an aged bosai. :)

I am not ready to make a decision yet, so will try the pruning recommendations over the next few years. Thank you for the input.

With proper care this tree should live on for many years but, there are several things that seem to be working against this tree. There seems to be a large pruning cut at the lower right side of the trunk that hasn't calloused over leading to a possible future area of decay. Also the garage was built after the tree had been there, where there could have been excavation or construction compaction. These are just hunches, if these were true I would recomend a removal before it becomes a nightmare and replanting something that would fit the space better.

My vote is for removal.
Besides the other points that have been made, a good reason to remove topped trees in general, is the condition is contagious.
I have noticed that when you see topped trees they seem to occur multiples and in slowly growing circles moving outward from the original topped tree. In some cases infecting so many trees in an area that it becomes a standard pruning practice.
A problem with line clearance topping is that people see the topped trees and think, "Hey, that's how you keep a tree from growing too tall!"
I don't want to start the whole line clearance discussion again, other than to say that if a tree can't be trimmed properly, it should be removed.
In the case of this tree, its small size makes it not much of a loss to remove, and it could be easily replaced with a balled in burlap nursery tree with a much brighter future.

Mike, You just agreed with Butch. Please lie down, call your Mom for some chicken soup and drink plenty of clear liquids (NO! Not Everclear!) until you feel completely recovered.

You are right about the topping infection process but I think that the communicable stage is prior to the second year of regrowth. After a growing season and the emergence of epicormic shoots the infectious nature of the disease seems to fall off dramatically.

The customer wants to save it ... so lets help him.

It's the look of the trunk he really likes which is good because that's about all it's got.

Step 1 Hire a waterblaster and totally clean the entire tree, trunk and all.

Step 2 With a small drill (approximately 1/4" dia and three inches long) drill into the trunk near the ground at a 45 deg angle in four equally spaced spots

Step 3 Fill the holes with Round up

Step 4 With a ladder, spray gun and compressor apply copious amounts of liquid epoxy resin, this will embalm the tree, hold it together for some time and preserve it's beauty

Step 5 When the epoxy is dry cable the tree in 3 locations like a tent pole so when the roots rot out it doesn't fall over

Step 6 Crack a beer and enjoy the monument you have created, saved for life! ;)

I hope you've all enjoyed that ... just a bit of fun, but seriously ... cut it down

Thank you all for your help. I will heed your advice and remove it when I can. BUT I will try to save a cutting.

But all is not lost! Over the last week I have advised 2 friends who are looking for tree trimming of the horrors of tree topping. Know that you have at lease saved 2 other trees while helping me out. :)

Take care! thanks.

Back