can anyone help me identify this saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wirtner

Reaction score
i got the saw from a friend it doesent have spark i was wanting to see some more pics of it and where i can get parts for it and info like the year and all that thanks the model number is 917 351781

0823090154.jpg

0823090155.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a homelite with some different badges.

could it be re badged it says craftsman on the side and it looks like its stamped i can get the serial number off it if it helps

I believe that's a Roper sold under the Craftsman flag.... they were pretty good saws. There's a lot of those around, you shouldn't have a problem finding used parts.

does anyone know what the like model would be like i go to google and type in "roper (............) parts" and around what year do you guys think?

I believe that there were more of those sold under the craftsman badge than the roper one. Your best bet is going to be sears.com. Not alot of new roper parts out there anymore. What do you need for it?

well it lost spark somewhere along the line i know it sat for a while but it was under a roof i was wondering if it had points and if i clean them will it prolly bring the spark back and i need an airfilter and cover lol and id like to know what all the buttons and knobs on it do thank you

Well, Sears doesn't carry squat for this model anymore. The IPLs are nice to have enough though they aren't the best. Looks like the point gap is .015" and the plug gap is .025". I saw a date of 1976 on the carb breakdown. It looks like a Tillotson HS136 series carburetor, so you should be able to find a carb kit if you need one.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...*.shcapp3205?modelNumber=917+351781&pop=flush

well it lost spark somewhere along the line i know it sat for a while but it was under a roof i was wondering if it had points and if i clean them will it prolly bring the spark back and i need an airfilter and cover lol and id like to know what all the buttons and knobs on it do thank you

The buttons and knobs on the clutch cover are part of the power sharp system. My understanding is, with the proper(specialty) chain and grinding plates that mounted on the inside of the clutch cover you could theoretically sharpen the chain with the chain on and the saw running. I don't think it worked very well, most people, myself included, put on regular style chains. I never have been able to get mine running well. It mostly just sits. Maybe this fall I'll try and get it going.

could it be re badged it says craftsman on the side and it looks like its stamped i can get the serial number off it if it helps
+1. Well built but hard to work on.

They come with both points and electronic ignitions. Finding a replacement may not be easy.

Latest posts

Back