Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not ash

Nor is it cherry.. But I do know for a fact that it is firewood that will burn better than snowballs.

looks like American elm
Has to be smooth bark elm. Look at the split marks left behind by some poor devil who tried to split it with an axe. :censored:

Note to KSWoodsman. I ran into some "smooth bark" elm this year in Boys Town. I called it that because the bark was thin, and the wood was imposiible to split with an axe. Believe me, it was not ash, and no one knows what it is. The inside was reddish in color, but the grain does not look like what OP showed here after he finally split it.

The texture of the wood, however, was just like American elm.

Last edited:
I would agree now that it is not Ash, at least not the ash we have in Missouri, plus Ash splits so easy. Could it be Red Elm? I am used to that, but usually when I get to em they have no bark, and already seasoned, so I'm not for sure....

It sure looks nice...

I would agree now that it is not Ash, at least not the ash we have in Missouri, plus Ash splits so easy. Could it be Red Elm? I am used to that, but usually when I get to elm they have no bark, and already seasoned, so I'm not for sure....

It sure looks nice...
That it does look nice. Red elm has really thick, coarse bark, however, so it can't be that. Takes about 7 months for the bark to fall off elm around here. Then, if you can split it, another month or so and it's ready.

Most ash we have around here is much lighter in color that this wood, which has a straight grain and tends to look like some variety of oak. I think OP should call it Mystery Wood, and enjoy the heat.:cheers:

Last edited:
Has to be smooth bark elm. Look at the split marks left behind by some poor devil who tried to split it with an axe. :censored:

Note to KSWoodsman. I ran into some "smooth bark" elm this year in Boys Town. I called it that because the bark was thin, and the wood was imposiible to split with an axe. Believe me, it was not ash, and no one knows what it is. The inside was reddish in color, but the grain does not look like what OP showed here after he finally split it.

The texture of the wood, however, was just like American elm.

Daz funny Ed !!!! in all your wisdom you get to rename the tree species. That bark didn't look very smooth.

Need a Christmas tree ? I have some evergreens I can rename from Eastern Red Cedar to Short Bristled Pine and you can sell buttloads of them or give them away to all your friend.

The split piece was done by hand. That sure doesn't sound like most Elm. Without seeing a set of leaves, branches or structure, I'll stand on ASH. I have 2 cords of Ash exactly like it. It came from an ASH tree, with ASH leaves and ASH seeds growing from it. Maybe it came from a "Pin Maple" ?

Last edited:
Fraxinus Nigra Black Ash.
That makes the most sense to me. The color is definitely not white ash that is prolific around here. However, the grain of the wood looks like either ash or oak, which are quite similar.

Note to KsWoodsman: My best friend is going to turn a couple of bowls out of that "smooth bark elm". The heartwood was actually red and the sapwood was almost white. We were calling it mystery wood, so I coined "smooth bark elm" for lack of anything better. The leaf and wood texture were similar to American elm, but that's as far as the similarity went. Red elm has thick, coarse bark, and these logs were anything but that.

Meanwhile, dry mulberry is keeping the house warm these days. That stuff is rather incredible. A log that weighs two-thirds as much as oak kicks out the same heat, if not more. It's literally a freak of nature.

Save some of that Mulberry for bowls.
We have. So far he has turned four mulberry bowls. Unless dry, they move a little after turning them. Nobody seems to mind though. I guess warped bowls are hard to find at the store.

That "smooth bark elm" I found should be very colorful. He claims it turns rather easily. The easiest to turn of them all so far was the Ginkgo wood we cut up in June after a freak storm blew down a huge branch. We've made seven bowls from it, and they are beautiful. That tree is very slow growing, so the annular rings aren't much further than 1/16th inch apart. :jawdrop:

I have one these that is about 90ft high needs taking down it has did this past summer.
Nice tree!

Ash
http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/Survival/Pages/ash.html

ash%20bark,resize%20-%20ed.jpg

That makes the most sense to me. The color is definitely not white ash that is prolific around here. However, the grain of the wood looks like either ash or oak, which are quite similar.

Note to KsWoodsman: My best friend is going to turn a couple of bowls out of that "smooth bark elm". The heartwood was actually red and the sapwood was almost white. We were calling it mystery wood, so I coined "smooth bark elm" for lack of anything better. The leaf and wood texture were similar to American elm, but that's as far as the similarity went. Red elm has thick, coarse bark, and these logs were anything but that.

Meanwhile, dry mulberry is keeping the house warm these days. That stuff is rather incredible. A log that weighs two-thirds as much as oak kicks out the same heat, if not more. It's literally a freak of nature.

Are you for real ? 1.5 times the amount of heat as Oak ! ? That's quite a claim.

I'll chime in because it's an interesting thought. Mulberry's heat content rating is not as high as oak or hickory, and it takes just as long to dry. Its density when dry is a bit less than oak or hickory. Burning green mulberry, just like oak, will make you think the stuff is worthless. But, when dry, mulberry burns very hot and suddenly you strike gold!

I doubt that it burns hotter than oak, but it certainly leaves the impression that it does because it can throw a shower of sparks (snap, crackle, and pop!). So, you have to be careful with it. Mulberry also seems to like a mix with elm and maple.

Also, when it gets down to business, as they say, mulberry can produce that blue flame that everybody knows is hot. Other berrywoods do the same, especially hackberry, an excellent and underrated firewood in my book. The secret is to get the berrywoods dry, and that takes time and patience.

In my collection, I have two cords of split mulberry that's dry as a bone, and I look forward to burning all of it this winter. :popcorn:

Are there 2 of you ? What you say one week doesn't seem to be the same the next week.

Note to Wood Doctor: If I'm wrong about it being Ash, I don't care. If you havent noticed I don't care to follow you around disputing your words. And until you mention me in a post I don't mix words with you. I also don't know why you seek either an arguement or approval by including me in your posts. I don't give much regard to the self imposed title of Dr. since real doctors still are just a Mr. Ed is it possible that the smooth barked Elm was a Beech ?

In retrospect, I don't know why you bother me , you can call it whatever you care to call your wood. Just leave me out of it. Actually as long as you are being an annoyance to me someone else is being spared from you. Carry on.

Are you for real ? 1.5 times the amount of heat as Oak ! ? That's quite a claim.

Are there 2 of you ? What you say one week doesn't seem to be the same the next week.

Note to Wood Doctor: If I'm wrong about it being Ash, I don't care. If you havent noticed I don't care to follow you around disputing your words. And until you mention me in a post I don't mix words with you. I also don't know why you seek either an arguement or approval by including me in your posts. I don't give much regard to the self imposed title of Dr. since real doctors still are just a Mr. Ed is it possible that the smooth barked Elm was a Beech ?

In retrospect, I don't know why you bother me , you can call it whatever you care to call your wood. Just leave me out of it. Actually as long as you are being an annoyance to me someone else is being spared from you. Carry on.
Believe me, I don't try to bother you. I seek your advice and opinion and I respect what you have to offer to this forum along with many others who contribute to it. If I annoy you, please forgive me. That is not my intention and never will be. I was not trying to dispute anything.

If you were standing next to me today I would offer my hand to shake and ask you how that you like burning the red bud that you found, a tree that cannot be found easily around here or many other places in the USA.

There is only one of me. We are all brothers on this forum. That's the way it should be. If you desire that I never mention your post name on any post that I make, then so be it. 'Tis indeed a shame. :confused:

Latest posts

Back