Can I burn my used logsplitter hydraulic oil in my home oil tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,

I just recently changed the 9 gallons of used hydraulic oil from my log splitter.
Can I pour this into my houses outdoor heating oil tank, to burn in my furnace?

It says that it's combustible.

Opinions, please!

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

If you have big oil tank and pour that in with it, it should be no problem at all. Talking 9 gallons. Of you were trying to fill a 275 gallon tank and burn alone you would have a hard time probably trying to get to ignite

I would not do it, chances are it would plug the nozzle. I would however burn it if I could figure out a way to filter it before pouring in, I guess it would depend on how diluted it was. I'm no expert, maybe someone that knows more about this will be along.

Hydraulic oil is thinner then house heating oil. It won't plug the nozzle at all. Burn away 6 gallons added to a large tank will not be an issue

Hydraulic oil is thinner then house heating oil. It won't plug the nozzle at all. Burn away 6 gallons added to a large tank will not be an issue
You'll have to explain that, I've seen plenty of hydraulic oil and it's way thicker than #2 heating oil. I was more concerned with the impurities in it than the actual burning of it. As I said, if you could filter it I would burn it.

You'll have to explain that, I've seen plenty of hydraulic oil and it's way thicker than #2 heating oil. I was more concerned with the impurities in it than the actual burning of it. As I said, if you could filter it I would burn it.
I guess that was a little broad of a statement on my part not knowing the weight of the hydro oil but regardless it will dilute in a large tank of heating oil and burn. We are talking 6 gallons not 600. I would as you said being concerned about contaminants, filter it threw a cheese cloth to filter out any.

If your tank is inside it will probably work. Make sure it's filtered well before adding.

Some auto shops have furnaces oil that are calibrated to burn used motor oil. They have the holding tank inside the building so the used oil doesn't congeal in the cold.

I've mixed many a gallon of filtered hydraulic oil and used motor oil, mixed 50/50 with diesel right in my tractors and older diesel pickups...

I only use it in the summer and I can't tell the difference from straight diesel.

SR

So you wanna put oil in an expensive piece of equipment and you're on a firewood forum for advice. Think about that, take all the time you need.

Hi Group,

I just recently changed the 9 gallons of used hydraulic oil from my log splitter.
Can I pour this into my houses outdoor heating oil tank, to burn in my furnace?

It says that it's combustible.

Opinions, please!

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

The question is,
Can I burn my used logsplitter hydraulic oil in my home oil tank?

The answer is yes.

I've mixed many a gallon of filtered hydraulic oil and used motor oil, mixed 50/50 with diesel right in my tractors and older diesel pickups...

I only use it in the summer and I can't tell the difference from straight diesel.

SR
believe it or not, once its started on straight diesel,,you can switch over to straight engine oil, and drive right down the road..this works better in a dsl pickup with a turbo, tho...

I mix it 50/50 with diesel, as thinned out a bit, it's MUCH easier to run through a filter.

SR

I have a fuel oil furnace as well and yesterday off road fuel for the furnace was $2.69/gal. I don't think I would chance clogging the nozzle or screwing up the pump over putting in $25 worth of oil.

Latest posts

Back