Can I Mod This Muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Specs: I have a Echo CS 3450. I know, nothing fancy like you pros have. It does okay, for the 1-2 times a year I use it. (Oh, and major thanks to all who replied to my thread yesterday... I removed the clutch, adjusted the oiler - surprised it had an adjustment - and now she oils like she should)

However, it does bog pretty bad. So, here are the pics of the muffler, and a tear down so you can see the internals. Lemme know what you guys think. And thanks in advance.

Bryant

DSC03800.jpg

DSC03804.jpg

DSC03805.jpg

DSC03806.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

DSC03809.jpg

That internal block is called a "silencer" according to the Echo parts diagram. I wonder what would happen if I just ditched that piece.. Too much flow, perhaps? Not enough backpressure?

I did my little echo and it helped some changing the chain to low profile non safety also helps if you are comfortable running it

for the muf mod
turn the internal baffle 180 degrees so the big opening is facing the outlet, not the inside of the muffler like it is now
not sure how closed the exit is on yours, on mine I made two cuts with a hacksaw so I could bend up the tab I made to increase the opening
not sure how clear that is ...remember to tune your carb after

i cant see your pics. when you post add attatchments so everyone can see.

I would drill out the 4 holes in the silencer about 1/8 of an inch bigger
in dia than the stock holes. Then try it and see, Then if you think it needs
bigger holes drill them bigger. I like to start small and work up, remember it's easier to take off metal than to add it back. As said before readjust carb.

TT

I would drill out the 4 holes in the silencer about 1/8 of an inch bigger
in dia than the stock holes. Then try it and see, Then if you think it needs
bigger holes drill them bigger. I like to start small and work up, remember it's easier to take off metal than to add it back. As said before readjust carb.

TT

Good idea.

I'm gonna need a little help adjusting the carb. I've read a lot on here about doing it......

I made a thread about 4 stroking..

Ok...Im thinking ditch the little block...all you need to keep the muffler from collapsing are a couple tubular spacers. Then I'd cut out the part I outlined in red so the exhaust flows straight down, not back in towards the saw. My theory has always been the fewer turns the exhaust gas has to make the happier it is. Be certain to readjust the carb as others have stated.

Back