Can I modify my existing equipment to get an aerator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need to aerate and dethatch my lawn. I don’t want to buy a Mantis type of tiller if it is possible because I have only one lawn, only need to do it ones every few years. I want to see whether anyone have any ideas to micky mouse what I have to do the job. I have a Honda HHT31S string trimmer with cutting saw. I have a Poulan HDF550 front tine tiller. Two possibility to go:

1) Modify the ones I have: I have been looking at Poulan site to see whether they sell the Aerator tines but don’t see any. Any substitution or modification I can do to make it an aerator? Also the Honda trimmer can adapt a round saw, can I buy a saw with larger teeth and just cut lines into the grass. From what I see the normal aerator, they seems to just cut lines into the lawn so stuff can go into the soil easier. Is that possible?

2) If the above is not possible, the next thing I wound consider is the get a combination type like the Stihl KM tools. I need a hedge trimmer also, so if I can modify the cultivator attachment to become an aerator, than it is worth considering to buy a combi tool to get a hedge trimmer and aerator. I don’t see any have option of changing tines. Any suggestion? I must get a combi tool that give me the shortest extension on the hedge trimmer.( minimum length on the extension of the hedge trimmer attachment.).

Thanks

Latest posts

Back