Can I save the tree and build the shop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkimball

Reaction score
Hello,
About 2 years ago I bought a house with a large concrete slab in the back yard (20 x 30 feet). The slab has a pecan tree about 2 feet away. (see pictures) The tree seems fairly young; maybe 10 to 20 years, but I'm not sure. It has a minimum 12 inch diameter.

Here is my question.
I am planning on building a shop on the concrete slab. I would like to save the tree because of shade, obviously. However, I know it will only get bigger and continue to grow into the structure.
Is there any way of saving the tree or should I just remove it while it is still manageable?

Also, there is a small piece of concrete sitting between the slab and the tree with a 3-4 inch pipe running down. I'm not sure what this is. My guess is that it was a drain for a camper. My neighbor said that the previous owners liked to travel and thought that they had a camper.

Thanks for the help,
J. Kimball

The small piece of concrete with the drain is already lifting at the end nearest the tree. That will not get any better over time. I would remove it and plant another ornamental tree further away.

Sell that Pecan wood as smoking wood!

A stitch in time, saves nine.

Is that what that means? Thanks, I get it now. I always thought it was some kind of reference to time warp and have been waiting for that stitch but now it seems so simple.

Latest posts

Back