Can i Sharpen my carbide chain with this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe, diamond should be harder then carbide

thanks evan.... is there a dremel bit that y'all have used that works? i remember one of the saw builders saying they had used something like this. would it work?
36_1.JPG

They work. You get about one decent sized chain per burr. Use it outside. Carbide dust is bad news.

+1, My cousin's fiancee used to work at a carbide and stellite saw tip factory down in Kelowna, BC, and from her description she pretty much had to wear as much HAZMAT PPE as if she was going to work in a nuclear reactor. I told her about the big explosion at the carbide facility in Bhopal, India years ago and how it's the largest industrial death toll in history (~20k), and that freaked her out a bit.

A little more on-topic though, does that chain need a specific diameter of stone , like a normal chain needs a specific size of file? I ask because I have seen diamond sharpening rods of various diameter before. I don't believe they were intended for chainsaws, but if the size matched up it might work for quick touchups. Not as easy as the Dremel option, though.

Last edited:
+1, My cousin's fiancee used to work at a carbide and stellite saw tip factory down in Kelowna, BC, and from her description she pretty much had to wear as much HAZMAT PPE as if she was going to work in a nuclear reactor. I told her about the big explosion at the carbide facility in Bhopal, India years ago and how it's the largest industrial death toll in history (~20k), and that freaked her out a bit.

You could have told her that it was not actually a carbide plant, but a pesticide plant owned by Union Carbide.

.....i guess that would spoil the fun.

Last edited:
i have a stihl 84 DL carbide chain that is missing 8 teeth. i am going to cut it down to 18" or 20".
Do i need to make sure that the cutters alternate or do i just take out the bad teeth?

Also, can i add some rapco teeth to this stihl chain?

Those will work just don't put too much pressure on them. Let the tool do the work.

Latest posts

Back