Can it be done K1250 to 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in the middle or rebuilding my Partner K1250 and have it apart after just fitting a new piston and cylinder.

I notice that the saw has a blank cap in the unused oil tank, so I start to wonder which chain saw this basic power head is?

All I can think is that it is maybe the Husky 3120?

I've seen P&C sets on ebay showing for the K1250 or the 3120, so this give it a little more credence.

So now I'm thinking which would I rather have? A big old concrete saw, or a big old chainsaw....

You know where this is going.

So would it be possible to just convert it?

I'm thinking new clutch drum and sprocket, a new 3120 side guard would include the chain brake, so that sorts that out, oil pump and hoses. Leave the air filter set up as is?

Am I right? Have I missed anything?

Im afraid they do more modifications to the saw to make it a concrete saw and not a chainsaw.

Maybe not in this case, but as far as I know, you cant swap the two back and forth... at least easily or affordably.

Come on guys!

If it can't be done, why can't it?

"...they do more modifications to the saw to make it a concrete saw and not a chainsaw"

Isn't really an answer is it.

It drives a belt rather than a chain, it has better air filtration to deal with the dust, but what else is fundamentally different?

Actually, Dan, I think we're a touch heavy on Stihl guys right now, and we don't have lots of Husqvarna expertise checking in everyday. Saw Troll does his best and catches a lot of crap for it :rock: I would love to push Huskies more, but I have to be honest about my knowledge base, it's only adequate and all my saws are old, which I actually prefer.......I think Mange used to do a lot of that heavy lifting for us, also. (There is a challenge there somewhere). Maybe PM him? I think he's spending most of his time on the collector's website. There were a fair number of guys who got bored with everyday ops here at AS (helping new folks, diagnosing saw problems, arguing about which brand was better) and who cared a lot more about the quality old stuff than the new saws. They created their own site for all such discussions.

It's a rather good idea, but I DO notice that if we arent' talking Stihl, a lot of threads on the less popular (but good quality) brands and older saws die pretty quickly. I posted a thread about a few older Dolmars that I just inherited as projects. You could hear the "thud." Maybe we need a collecor site ambassador?

Also, for the sake of the site, I DO hope that the non-Stihl users and newbies don't get feeling too bullied. I know most of the guys are just having fun (I know I do) but that doesn't always come through like we think it might. I'm guessing everyone would agree that we'd lose a lot of the value of the site without these people (or would that just be me?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back