can of worms in hawaii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbertrav

Reaction score
First off I would like to say im a young guy. I've been climbing for five plus years now and I started off in the logging industry as a timber feller. Originally I'm from Washington State I made the move to Oahu about a year and a half ago to learn the tree's here and spend a little time in the sun. The Pro's are; work is constant year round and the con's are the severe paycut you can expect moving out here, not to mention the outlandish cost of living. No complaints though I'm loving the experience thus far and the tree's are insane out here!
Now to my main point...
I'm not a fan of spikes I only feel comfortable of their use if I'm removing something. That being said my company gets alot of contracts from the hotels in Waikiki, places where a boom truck is inaccessible. These coco's can reach heights of +100' ft to sr every tree is basically impossible. (if you damage the heart of the crown with your rope or throw bolt you will kill that tree.) Trust me guys I don't feel morally right spiking a tree every 3-4 months. I have considered hunting stands but the problem that arises with those is most of these tree's have major sweep or severe bends in the middle of the tree, so bad sometimes it's very technical even to spike.. it's rare to have a straight coco.
My question is for those who have tried and implemented the strap climbing platforms that you wear on each leg.. I believe there Swedish made..

Are they effective?
How fast can you climb a tree?
How comfortable do you feel climbing compared to spurs?
Will they climb a tall skinny Filipino coco?
Or a thick and smooth royal palm?

Not sure on how to handle those but there is a guy who owns a company out there that post as Treesandsurf. His first name is Jon. I can't remember what site he was on but I'm sure you could find him with a Google search.

Ask Damian Damie236 on here D&L Enterprises on YouTube. He has some videos of doing coconuts and other tall palms in Barbados

Not sure on how to handle those but there is a guy who owns a company out there that post as Treesandsurf. His first name is Jon. I can't remember what site he was on but I'm sure you could find him with a Google search.
Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Dont know how these things handle a swept trunk.
Cant believe the climbers dont use saddles with safeties. Not descending on a retrievable line seems a huge energy waster.

Latest posts

Back