Can Slime Flux spread to other tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paigowkitty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Ok, so I've determined that my Navajo Willow has slime flux and that there's not really much that can be done. HOWEVER, do I need to be concerned about my surrounding trees becoming infected? How likely is this disease to spread to my other trees and bushes? All other trees surrounding the willow are fruit trees: cherry, peach, and fig.

Thanks for your great advise!!!

Susan
Henderson, NV

Well...in theory, its a soil living bacteria that causes the flux...and I've seen it 30 feet up in a tree...so...I suspect wind can help spread it from either ground to tree via dust or even tree-to-tree. It needs an entry point however, some kind of "wound" in the wood to enter...broken limb, split bark, etc. Try to avoid pruning wounds & the infamous lawnmower wounds :)

Slime flux , or wet wood, is an anaerobic decay of moist deadwood. So any time you have pockets of decay that hold moisture, you will have the problem.

For the most part it is only an aesthetic problem that needs monitoring if in a critical structural area.

Back