Can someone ID this wood for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go with poplar. Up here it's called piss wood for the obvious reason. It's not great but it burns. I'm a wood snob and will usually leave it (if the other pickin's are better.:)

If it's poplar and you split it when it is fairly frozen.............DO NOT BE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE SPLITTER. It will "pop" out of there like a rifle into YOUR family tree!

My oh my, the things one learns when they are young and inexperienced.

It will go with some cottonwood in the stack. Late Oct/March wood. Thanks for all the info on the wood. I will watch when I split it. I've had stuff flying out of the splitter before.

Matt

It looks like poplar or cottonwood to me. I heated my house for 2 full years with some cottonwood tree's that blew down. It seems to burn fast and hot, but you can't be picky when its right there and free.:clap:

It smelled kind of like hot piss when I was cutting. Not super fast with the cut even with a brand new RSC chain on. About 10-12 seconds through the bigger rounds.

Matt

Smells like p!$$, poplar. A wonderfully aromatic, sweet, rich, pungent smell, no mistaken the oak

What's a finger joint?

paint grade poplar trim, ie base and casing, It's cheaper than pine and since it is painted no worries about the grain. the mills cut out the undesirable portions of the wood and "finger joint" the best portions to create specific lengths.

It smelled kind of like hot piss when I was cutting. Not super fast with the cut even with a brand new RSC chain on. About 10-12 seconds through the bigger rounds.

Matt

I cut poplar for firewood on our property. No smell like what you describe.

Bam smells like pee. If you can dry it enough to burn it smells like someone had a wiz on the fire. In the winter it cuts well but in the summer it looks like you cut into a hidden water hose somewhere in there. Makes your pants wet from the spray. Grows in the wet parts alongside the Black Ash.

Is also called Balsam-Poplar or Black Poplar around here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsam_poplar

The bark looks similar to the bark your pic.
http://tinyurl.com/2vljuk

Last edited:
Just went up to the landing to cut some more firewood.

Got two Bam down side by each:
- Smoother bark higher up the tree, almost like Trembling Aspen.
- Coarse bark lower down like the link I posted.
- Heavy when fresh, light almost like punky/rotted wood when dry.
- A characteristic red stain like in your photos when bucked. Tough for me to tell where the heartwood is because I am somewhat 'colour vision challenged'.

Looks like what is in your pic.

Gonna try and post some pics of the Bam I have here.
(Need a new smiley -- One with the tongue stuck out like Linus did in the Peanuts cartoons).

There (tongue still stuck out - LOL). Hope that works :dizzy:

Gosh - This is a good thread

What exactly is Bam? I can't find anything about it. Ahh, I misunderstood the post at the top. Balsam-Poplar...

Well, we pronounce it 'bam-bi-gale-ia' (or something like that) around here but the spelling of it always escapes me so I GOOGLE for "balsam poplar" and that seems to get me where I need to go for information.
They say it is called the Balm of Gilliad or something like that so maybe it should be Balm instead of Bam (I just don't know).

The moose really like to eat the buds of juvenile Bam in the fall and winter. Once, while hunting moose I took some buds and tried them to see what the attraction was. Suffice it to say that it MUST be an acquired taste (that is only appreciated by moose no doubt). :jester:

Bam, when burned, smells like pee in the fire , don't ask me how I know. (I had a misguided youth too you know) :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
It makes poor firewood but I am not too proud to burn anything if the price is right and winter is long and cold around here.

Trees go by different names in other parts of the continent and some trees that I will never have the privilege to ever see might just be growing next to your house. Wouldn't a thread every now and then about "name this tree" be fun and educational?

nothing like relaxing with a brewski in front of fire and enjoying the smell of "hot piss"---but hell if the wood is free you could get used to it

I run a wood furnace in the basement. As long as I open the damper wide open and pull the ash pan out a few inches and give it a couple minutes to clear the smoke, there is very little if any smell in the house.

My father-in-laws woodstove in the living room is another matter. His house always smells like smoke.

Matt

Latest posts

Back