Can someone with a newer 460 take a pic of the tank vent hole for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
This sounds stupid, but I need a pic of the whole that the tank vent sits in on a newer MS460. I have an older 046 that used a rubber tit and a filter type cap that fits over it. I have changed the rubber tit, (or what ever you call it) a couple times and it still leaks the minute the saw is turned to the side. I bought a newer style vent for a 460 and wondered if I just need to drill a hole and pop it in or what. I would also apreciate it if you could measure the ID of the hole

Thanks in advance

-Steve

I don't have one in front of me this time of night, but maybe tomorrow...

Don't drill any holes... There is a special kit to update your saw, depending on the serial number.
The later valve shows as fitting (not sure if all tanks will work), and nothing in the tech data shows the need to drill any holes.

Here's the third version of tanks vents; the latest on the 460 being the 4th.

Last edited:
Freakingstang said:
This sounds stupid, but I need a pic of the whole that the tank vent sits in on a newer MS460. I have an older 046 that used a rubber tit and a filter type cap that fits over it. I have changed the rubber tit, (or what ever you call it) a couple times and it still leaks the minute the saw is turned to the side. I bought a newer style vent for a 460 and wondered if I just need to drill a hole and pop it in or what. I would also apreciate it if you could measure the ID of the hole

Thanks in advance

-Steve
Steve

I have a MS460 that is about 2years old, just had the vent off to up plug it.
It was just a cap that had a diapham and sponge filter in it. It just snaped off the tank and the filter type componets just snapped apart to clean.
If Andy did not answer you're question, let me know and i'll take some pictures.

Bob

Thanks Andy. Apparently when I had it apart and replaced the diaphram (orange rubber washer with a needle looking tip), I must have torn it. I tried to put the same style as the info you showed, but the ones that came with that style had a differant diameter cap and filter assy. Ony that kit number will work. I didn't order the kit, as it was about 20 bucks and they didn't have it in stock, so I bought another Diaphram.

What my original question was, I was trying to adapt the newest version of the vent (one piece black diaphram/ filter assy about 1/2" tall) to my older tank. I would still like to see a pic of the hole without the vent assy in it on the lastest version, but as of right now mine is the way it came from Stihl and doesn't seem to leak, for the moment anyways lol.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back