Can tree roots pull up enough water to create puddles after stump has been ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisTH

Reaction score
The strangest thing occurred after I cut down an 35' Elm tree. The tree was cut down and the stump was ground down about 4-6" below ground. The next day there were 3 "puddles" in the hole where the stump had been removed :confused:

The only thing I can think of is that the tree roots which remained in the ground "must" be still pulling up water from somewhere??

Is that abnormal?

The water or moisture could not have been there before because the dirt was bone dry as the guy was grinding the stump down.

I had the local water company come out and take a look at the water 3 puddles... (each approximately 8-10" diameter by about 3 inches deep.) and they said no water was leaking from anywhere around the tree.

Case closed

Well as it turns out the water company came out to check for the source of the leak. One of the guys accidentally nicked the water pipe and they decided to just replace the section of pipe leading to my meter. The Elm was less than a foot from my water meter and needless to say it's roots were wrapped around the pipes like a ball of spaghetti.
I believe the problems may have been twofold... small water leak in the pipes but larger puddles from the exposed roots after stump grinding.

Latest posts

Back