Can you identify these rounds of free firewood I picked up? (Round 2)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's right its pin oak.....although somebody did sneek a few pieces of red maple into pic 1 lol

Can't complain if its free, right? Nice score

I suck at identifying stuff... I was thinking it was Norway Maple like the first post I referenced....damn I suck. :p

Oak <- can't complain. But for a newbie who just starting collecting, it won't help me for next year. :(

But in the end free is good and hopefully it'll be nice in year two. I plan to store 8 cords ASAP, buy a stove this summer, and burn my oldest stuff next (up to 4 cords of it) as it will have a full year of drying and then, my year two stuff will have almost two full years to dry.

I think my fiancee can tolerate 8 cords in the yard which equates to 2 years worth of fuel.

The other day I answered a post of craigslist where the person advertised "free Red Oak."

When I called back, it was a local landscaper with an 18-wheeler's worth of it. Would of ~loved~ to take it, but then I wouldn't of had a front lawn anymore where they'd dump it. Haha. Oh well what can ya do?

Pin oak is similar to red oak, not quite as straight grained so a bit tougher to split, but still good to BURN!!!

Split it up, stack, cover with some tin, it will be ready next winter:rock:

Looks like some pin oak and something else, maybe maple. The one with the light sapwood and dark heartwood with the wavy rings is definitely pin oak. The one with no discernible sapwood looks like maple to me.

Back