Can you identify this tree and it's sickness?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cgs

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I just recently bought my first house and along with it a bunch of trees. I don't have a clue what kind of trees they are. Here are some pictures of them and what looks like fungus and these weird little balls that are more prevalent on the south sides of them along with a lot of sap on the limbs. Can anyone identify these trees and the problems with them? Thanks for your time

sorry here are the pics of the trees

when you crush the balls this wierd red yelow fluid coms out of them and there is no stem conecting the balls to the tree. when you pull them off there is bearly any type of attachment to the limbs

The juicy "balls" on the twigs are soft scale, these need treatment. On the trunk you have fungal fruiting bodies indicating heart wood decay, no treatment.

Thank you very much raintree. So the fungal is cause by the heart wood rotting which I'm guessing is the center of the wood? Will they live for a long time or should I just go ahead and cut them down?

I'm from the Northeast so unfamiliar with your trees, a guess would be a fruit tree of some sort.

Don't remove until you know for sure. If the trees fail do to trunk decay, so what?, not going to hurt anything.

Also careful what you treat the scale with. If they are a good fruit tree you don't want to ruin the crop with a insecticide bath.

Back