Can you pull a tree with 2 ropes tied together?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
New to the field game

I am wondering if it’s safe to pull a tree by attaching two ropes together ?

I have 2 100 foot rope and want to know if it would be safe (I know it’s not ideal) to tie them together to pull a tall tree down.

If so, what knot would you use?

Thx again

New to the field game

I am wondering if it’s safe to pull a tree by attaching two ropes together ?

I have 2 100 foot rope and want to know if it would be safe (I know it’s not ideal) to tie them together to pull a tall tree down.

If so, what knot would you use?

Thx again
Bowlines have worked for me for decades.

Here's a great knot for joining two ropes and ropes of different sizes.

A sheet bend is fantastic for ropes of different sizes. And because a sheet bend is a bowline, it inherently resists jamming like all bowlines. So you can actually untie it when you're done.

https://www.animatedknots.com/sheet-bend-knot
We're still waiting on the OP for the details though. That's what's needed to determine the optimal knot.

A sheet bend is fantastic for ropes of different sizes. And because a sheet bend is a bowline, it inherently resists jamming like all bowlines. So you can actually untie it when you're done.

https://www.animatedknots.com/sheet-bend-knot
We're still waiting on the OP for the details though. That's what's needed to determine the optimal knot.

I like the sheet bend and often use the double sheet bend.

I think you may have three issues.

1. What do you mean by "pull tree down"?
2. The can you bend two ropes together?
3. What bend (knot) to use.

1. Details please
2. Sure.
3. Are the two ropes exactly the same?

Roy
1- Climbing up the tree, tiying one end of the rope up the tree. Starting the cut down low and pulling the tree with some type of vehicle
2- Perfect
3- Identical rope, two 100feet sections, 16mm or 5/8'' thick

All of the previous suggestions will be fine.

For instance, double sheet bend or zeppelin bend.

Also, a square knot in the middle of a double-fisherman's.

Many authorities (e.g., Ashley Book of Knots) hold that the double fisherman's provides maximum strength and security...it is just a bear to untie after it has held a load...thus, the square-knot-first suggestion.

Roy

Many authorities (e.g., Ashley Book of Knots) hold that the double fisherman's provides maximum strength and security...it is just a bear to untie after it has held a load...thus, the square-knot-first suggestion.

Roy
Great. I will look into it. Thx

Roy
A sheet bend is a better selection than the square knot. More secure, easier to untie per ABOK and personal experience.

Also keep in mind that any knot reduces the strength of the rope by about half. Usually less, but if you plan on 50% you'll have a good safety margin.

Edit: I misread your post. You were suggesting the square knot before the double fisherman's bend. Agreed that's a technique to prevent that from jamming.

That's right: I am not suggesting a stand-alone square knot.

To the OP: whatever you decide, it might be good to bend the two ropes together (since you are now a rope guy, you might as well use "bend" as a verb) and post a pic of the bend. It is really easy to learn knots off the internet/book, and get some detail wrong.

Last: it is sometimes better to correctly tie a less-than-perfectly-selected knot than to choose the very best knot and then not tie it correctly.

Roy

It ai
1- Climbing up the tree, tiying one end of the rope up the tree. Starting the cut down low and pulling the tree with some type of vehicle
2- Perfect
3- Identical rope, two 100feet sections, 16mm or 5/8'' thick
Aint Rocket Science I have been using Bowlines for 45 years or more never had one fail but did break a 1/2 rope at the Bowline 1 time in my career when too much pull was applied! DYOD be safe out there.

It aint Rocket Science I have been using Bowlines for 45 years or more never had one fail but did break a 1/2 rope at the Bowline 1 time in my career when too much pull was applied! DYOD be safe out there.

And a bowline on a bight is useful for shortening one of the ropes to the desired length. Nothing wrong with that approach. Just make sure your working load is within your safety margin. Working Load Limit = Minimum Break Strength / Safety Factor.

Latest posts

Back