Canola oil as bar lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using straight canola oil for a while now. The only issue I've seen is that chains can sometimes get a bit stiff, either on the bar or hanging on a nail, if it sits for a long time. As in many months. It doesn't seem to always happen and I'm not sure what the cause is other than time.

I basically have taken the stiff chains as a sign that I have more saws than I need. I'm presently setting some of my saws aside as I don't use them enough, and running a bit of canned fuel through the engines and 30W through the oilers.

Dooood can you please show up on time if your gonna be late to the party?
Sorry for the derail of the Brushape derail.:laugh:
Ok back to oil and cute blondes that like the smell of baby Shampoo........... wait what was this all about?

I've been using straight canola oil for a while now. The only issue I've seen is that chains can sometimes get a bit stiff, either on the bar or hanging on a nail, if it sits for a long time. As in many months. It doesn't seem to always happen and I'm not sure what the cause is other than time.

I basically have taken the stiff chains as a sign that I have more saws than I need. I'm presently setting some of my saws aside as I don't use them enough, and running a bit of canned fuel through the engines and 30W through the oilers.
Chris is spot on! l have been using canola for years in many saws, on average the savings per saw per year can replace the saw new. lf sitting bars,chains aside for more than a month you want to clean out the canola so it don't seize up and make chains stiff. lt WILL sieze up nose sprocket bearings too. After each day any used chains get sharpened and put in a platic sandwich bag with a squirt of WD-40....not canola! lf you use the same saw/bar chains daily you will likely not get any gumming but anything sitting more than a couple of weeks needs the canola removed and a different oil run through. Canola can set a chain as stiff as glue, same as nose sprocket bearings.

When OEM bar oil is au$15 per litre...
Holy crap‼ If'n I did the currency conversion and math correctly that's like $45 (US) per gallon‼

I can run bar 'n' chain oil cheaper (a lot cheaper) than canola oil... our local fleet store sells bar 'n' chain oil for $5.99 per gallon (3.7-3.8 liters) regular price. I can buy it on sale for 4.99 quite often (just did actually), and even $3.99 sometimes. Figuring canola oil is $7-$8 per gallon, and thinner so I'm guessin' you'd use more, it would likely cost me twice the money... plus ya' have the gumming issues to deal with. No thank you...

Truthfully, unless regular bar 'n' chain oil was costing something over $10 per gallon, I can't see the up-side to canola oil...
I don't see canola oil as ever being a cost effective alternative to (dino) bar oil; when ya' figure how rapeseed is cultivated and harvested, and then how the oil is extracted and produced, any increase in petroleum prices is gonna' raise the price of canola oil.

Look around on some of the Arborist-oriented forums. They are usually complaining about how hard canola oil is to remove from all their saws and gear when the state they live in forces them to use it. I've switched to coconut oil for french fries and channel cat.

Canola for loggers is basically yet another southpaw ploy to undermine a way of life.
Mmmm cat fish

Canola C-A-N-O-L-A Canola. I'm not the world's most physical guy but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine oh Canola. C-A-N-O-L-A. We drank koolaid and danced all night under windmill generated light. She picked me up and sat me on her knee. Said little boy won't you cut my tree.

There may be a reasonable explanation in a food-grade facility for using veggie oil to lubricate machinery. To suggest it in the woods is so counter-intuitive that only the elitist would even try to convince someone with real experience. I'm not saying you won't get it done by force if you get enough warm bodies on the grenade. I've seen equally ridiculous measure get applause from the masses in places like San Fransico, Denver and Seattle. Canola oil for bar and chain lube is just another train wreck.

I have myself a little chuckle when a guy gets him $25,000 in solar panels, makes $300 payments each month for 20 years, gets his property taxes jacked up another $300/year so he can theoretically lay waste to all but $75 of his current electric bill and have a room full of batteries collecting dust. That is amusing until one realizes he is also paying for it.

Yah, listen to the Brush Ape who is a psychopath and certified con artist and does not know snot from gold. .404 is one of the latest incarnations of the Brush Ape. Has nothing better to do than pretend to know things and post it on this site. For some reason they do not ban this incarnation from this site, like at least 100 other BA incarnations. He does not know diddly about saws, arborist stuff, or even how to wipe his own arse. But he slept in a flea bag motel last night.

But do read around. You will find that canola is not a problem for anyone that is actually using it in chainsaws.
I thought he was smart when he said only professionals use stihl pro saws. And that his 170POS was one awesome slow azz saw. Yeahya he guy was a Frickin button pushing phucktard.

Holy crap‼ If'n I did the currency conversion and math correctly that's like $45 (US) per gallon‼

I can run bar 'n' chain oil cheaper (a lot cheaper) than canola oil... our local fleet store sells bar 'n' chain oil for $5.99 per gallon (3.7-3.8 liters) regular price. I can buy it on sale for 4.99 quite often (just did actually), and even $3.99 sometimes. Figuring canola oil is $7-$8 per gallon, and thinner so I'm guessin' you'd use more, it would likely cost me twice the money... plus ya' have the gumming issues to deal with. No thank you...

Truthfully, unless regular bar 'n' chain oil was costing something over $10 per gallon, I can't see the up-side to canola oil...
I don't see canola oil as ever being a cost effective alternative to (dino) bar oil; when ya' figure how rapeseed is cultivated and harvested, and then how the oil is extracted and produced, any increase in petroleum prices is gonna' raise the price of canola oil.
Ya your right. There are downsides and upsides lMO for both canola/petroleum. To give you an example, two days ago l did a removal in a backyard on a steep property that had a multi level fish pond under the leaning gum that needed removing. There were fish in the ponds and l had no concerns spraying 3 or 4 ms201t tanks of oil right above it. Had l used petroleum l would have either had to cover the water or buy some fish. It does look pretty cool though when using petroleum stuff over water and you make the rainbows of color in the water lol but fishes don't see the funny side of that. I thought too that I'd use more bar oil when running canola but not really the case......my ported saws usually run out of gas before oil.

Pre-greasing the fishies before the fry time. I knew there was a nugget of gold in all this snot. lol

Just kidding guys. I have to perform surgery on a joshua tree today which provides shade over a kitten and bullfrog rescue facility adjoining a commune. In all fairness, I'll try your canola oil. I'm going a step farther. I have some raincoats I recycled from a Grateful Dead concert that were once garbage bags destined for the landfill before we washed them in white sand at a nudist colony beach. I'll cover the kitten incubators and see if I can capture the canola to use again!

There were fish in the ponds and l had no concerns spraying 3 or 4 ms201t tanks of oil right above it.
:D Oh lordy, think how traumatic and mentally disturbing that was for the fish.
You spraying fish-fry oil all over them likely put them in a panic requiring antidepressant drugs to correct :laughing:

Sorry... I just had to... actually, I do see your point there may be times when canola can be the appropriate choice for reasons other than cost.

The canola oil is marginally cheaper, it creates less crap for me to breath and I don't spray petrolium all over the woods. Seems to lube well.

So the lack of tackiness of the canola presents no issues?

No, not if you blend the Canola Oil with Red Clover Honey 4:1. I'd like to extend an open invitation to Chris-PA and windthrown to see for themselves the benefit of this organic tackifier on any of our tract holdings in Northern Alberta when they get time.

No, not if you blend the Canola Oil with Red Clover Honey 4:1. I'd like to extend an open invitation to Chris-PA and windthrown to see for themselves the benefit of this organic tackifier on any of our tract holdings in Northern Alberta when they get time.

Adding honey is a bad idea, may attract bears.

Back