Can't find professional treemen in Paradise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Novoarbor, I'm not a contract climber-I'm a small, complete tree service. I do not want to hire any fulltime employees-different strokes-I like staying small and taking care of each tree and each customer personally. I climb safely but not well. If I had a contract climber like Butch or Brian,or Rich in my area I would hire them 10-15 times per year to help me do trees that I'm not very efficient on or some of the ones that I refuse to bid because they are beyond my capabilities. Most of the contract climbers that I'm aware of have their own Insurance and work on a per day basis so I could easily figure them into the bids where I need them. If a sub doesn't work for and with the team he 's not going to get much repeat business. Brian uses this forum to vent his frustrations quite a bit but the guys who have employed him say he gets the job done. Working with several different crews per month probably is helpful to some climbers-if they had to work with the people that aren't efficient (or are even dangerous) every day they would quit!'Contract climbing is a Niche. The big companies will simply hire employees but there are a lot of outfits like mine that could use a good sub.:angel:

Originally posted by TreeCo
I didn't think your pay plan was legal.

It's looking like it's purpose is to get around paying time and half. In Delaware your plan would not have worked with the dept. of labor. Maybe Florida is different.

I think the pay plan falls into some gray area also. Labor laws are federal based so I do not think it would work in VA either. Not for me to advise how to run business only to suggest, as someone who has stood before federal labor judge, to make sure all your ducks are in a row. Cost the company I worked for 10K to settle a case involving overtime.
Be careful:angel:

Originally posted by Husky372
i'm curious if saturdays are mandatory. if so then only the comany benifits not the employee

How do you figure that???? Saturday is NOT mandatory. Saturday is billed just like a Monday. The company doesn't make any more money because it's a Saturday - not here anyway. Both the ee & the er benefit the same. They WANT the work - they're HAPPY to get it. So I don't see what all the fuss is about.

so what your saying is they have to work saturdays. if they have to then they should be compensated for it as in time and a half if you happen to make alittle less and you dont like it quit booking saturdays. jmho

Guys why are you giving this lady grief? If the employers and employees have reached an agreement that is mutually acceptable then it really isn't anyone else's business.

How many of you get paid for days you don't work? Salary plus straight pay for over 40 hours doesn't sound abusive when salary gets paid for non-working days. Sheesh! It's their deal, Leave 'em alone.

Originally posted by Stumper
Guys why are you giving this lady grief? If the employers and employees have reached an agreement that is mutually acceptable then it really isn't anyone else's business.

How many of you get paid for days you don't work? Salary plus straight pay for over 40 hours doesn't sound abusive when salary gets paid for non-working days. Sheesh! It's their deal, Leave 'em alone.

EXCELLENT POST!!!:blob2:

i was'nt trying to be abusive if i was my appolagies. i was just asking in my first one if saturdays where manditory she said they want to work saturdays well that does'nt sound like it was'nt mandatory. so my point was and still is do they have to work on saturdays. if they have to it is'nt that great of a deal but hey it aint me so i quess it does'nt matter i was just curious like i said in my first post.

David,
She said they WANTED the work and were HAPPY to get it. Sounds to me like it's their choice.

Originally posted by Husky372
o.k maybe i misunderstood. but she also never said that they did'nt have to either.

It's like this, David - it's not mandatory - it's a mutual desire. sometimes one or more of them can't work on a Saturday - and for good reason - and that's OK with us. It's become our way of business during the our busy season which is May - October. I hope I've cleared this up.

yes you have. and i sure was not trying to be antaganistic i was just curious. my appoligies if thats the way i came off not my intention but i have a way of writing that seems to ppo.

It's very difficult to put the inflections in writing as we would be if we were speaking. The written word can appear harsh when in fact it is not meant to be. No apologie necessary, but thank you just the same. I appreciate everyone's opinion & input. That's why we're all hear.

Latest posts

Back