Can't go wrong with Logging Tongs !! <pics>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Took my camera with me today as we cut a few ash trees to add to the log pile and then grabbed a standing dead oak 28" base. Once on the ground we were able to cut the oak at about 15' and then another piece at 10'. Should make some good lumber for our trailer that needs some new planks. The other will go for firewood. The fun part was seeing the tractor lift/skid out the logs with a simple log tong. We keep some weight up front on the loader arms and hay forks and lifted it a little with the three point for traction, seems to work very well. Here are some pics, always enjoy everyones comments.

P1010003_480.jpg

P1010004_480.jpg

P1010005_480.jpg

pile_8232008_2.jpg

What h.p. tractor is that? Nice set up

Thanks, it's my FIL's, TL100A, I think it is rated at 100 HP. He had the 75 HP model a few years ago, and traded up for this one, he likes it alot better. We normally use his Case 580 Super Backhoe which is 4x4 also, but the New Holland has the taller tires and seemed to be a better fit for today's work.

Safety nit picking but...

From the pic (not clear) it looks like it is being towed from the upper arm. If so, the tractor can back flip in an instant if the log hangs up.

Better hook up is for a chain from the log to the drawbar and use the 3-point only to suspend the end of the log. That way the pulling force will be below the axle center line. There would still be a bit of tow force on the 3 point but not all of it.

Harry K

Took my camera with me today as we cut a few ash trees to add to the log pile and then grabbed a standing dead oak 28" base. Once on the ground we were able to cut the oak at about 15' and then another piece at 10'. Should make some good lumber for our trailer that needs some new planks. The other will go for firewood. The fun part was seeing the tractor lift/skid out the logs with a simple log tong. We keep some weight up front on the loader arms and hay forks and lifted it a little with the three point for traction, seems to work very well. Here are some pics, always enjoy everyones comments.

P1010003_480.jpg

P1010004_480.jpg

P1010005_480.jpg

pile_8232008_2.jpg
I used a set of old log tongs that I bought at a garage sale for years only I used a backhoe. I now have a skidding winch. Almost put the tongs out of business (but I'm not selling the tongs).

I have a set of log tongs and I hate them. I do all my logging and firewood cutting alone, and tongs seem to be a two man operation. I was using them to lift logs up to my trailer with a frontend loader, its a pain in the beehind to set the tongs and lift at the same time (my arms just aren't long enough:dizzy: ).

Nice tractor!:cheers:

Safety nit picking but...

From the pic (not clear) it looks like it is being towed from the upper arm. If so, the tractor can back flip in an instant if the log hangs up.

Better hook up is for a chain from the log to the drawbar and use the 3-point only to suspend the end of the log. That way the pulling force will be below the axle center line. There would still be a bit of tow force on the 3 point but not all of it.

Harry K

Good point Harry K, we usually don't skid very far, and try to keep the front of the log at some height, but I see your point if we hit something or got the log hung, it would be better mounted lower on the tractor. We currently hook the chain at the arrow, and just throw the extra chain over the top of the upper arm. Thanks for the safety tip, always good to learn : )

chain.jpg

Back