cant pull rope on ms 270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alleycat

Alleycat

ArboristSite Member
Saw has been sitting up for a couple of months. Always ran fine but today I can barely get it to roll over with the pull rope. Removed the spark plug and it rolls over just fine. Plug looks good so put it back in no joy. Pulled the muffler off expecting a plugged-up screen, but it doesn't have one. The piston looks great, but it still doesn't want to spin over with the plug in it. The manual says the saw MAY have a compression release, but if it does, I don't know where to look for it, but that may be the culprit. Can someone tell me where to look and how to fix it if there is one?

Alleycat

Alleycat

ArboristSite Member
Thanks ballisticdoughnut and TheJollyLogger, Glad to know there is no decomp on it, and I wasn't just missing it. I'll try pouring some fuel mix down the spark plug hole as suggested. There may be carbon buildup on the piston top. The saw is kept in the garage but the temps here in the sunny south have been below freezing a couple of times this winter, then it warms up and freezes again. The temp swings could have caused condensation to swell any carbon that may be on the piston. I need to figure this out NOW as I have an eighty-foot pine laying across my front yard thanks to last weeks storm. Saturated ground , 60 mph wind and the thing went over, roots and all.

Attachments

• IMG_2221[1].JPG
    IMG_2221[1].JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2224[1].JPG
    IMG_2224[1].JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
Alleycat

Alleycat

ArboristSite Member
Well, I love that I got it running, but hate that I'm not sure which thing I did that fixed it. Cleaned off the very little bit of carbon from the piston top. It was thin and wiped off with a Q tip soaked with carb cleaner. Put it back together and the problem didn't go away. Checked the plug for wetness, and it was dry. Pulled the recoil cover off and it looked ok, so tried cranking with a drill motor. Still no joy. Put everything back together but left the air filter off and filled the tank with fresh fuel mix. Put a board through the handle to step on and the thing started on the first pull. WT@#&%

Latest posts