carb adjust stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what is the proper procedure to adjust a HL-324A carb on a stihl 090. i just got a 090 from washington (near sea level) and need to adjust it for elevation 10,700 feet. having never owned a stihl before, and a bit confused with the 2 high speed adjustment screws, i dont want to blow it up. it will be used for milling.

also, does anyone know where i can get info about my saw (particularily year of manufacure) based on the serial number 1 128274.

thanks,

mark

Hi Mark, here's a spec sheet for the 090.
I don't think you can go wrong by starting with the L & H turned out at 1 1/2 turns as a starting point. With the idle screw turned in far enough to just about make the chain rotate, turn in the L to acheive the highest rpm. If the chain begins to turn you can use this as a gauge to get the highest rpm. Once you have gotten this setting, back out the L screw approx. what would be 5-10 minutes on the face of a clock, which will give you instantainious throttle response. Having done that, reset the idle screw so the chain won't turn.
Having accomplished that and the saw reasonably warmed up, put your tuning screwdriver in the H screw and while holding the throttle fully open, turn in the H to get the saw at it's highest rpm and back it off 5 minutes or so till the saw wants to blubber a bit. Finer adj. may be necessary, but the procedure is much the same for every saw.
John
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/sunlover3/More Chainsaws/090specs.jpg

The imbedded verion may be easier to read as I think it's larger.
John
090specs.jpg

Isn't 10,700 feet elevation above timberline? I am not exactly sure because I don't live in Colorado. Your saw would have less power because of thinner air. That would take a leaner setting on adjustment needles. What kind of milling would you do at that elevation? Mike

It's generaly thought of as 11,500 ft.,Mike.Back in my deer hunting days,in Wolcott Colorado,we used to hunt,right around that elevation ,for the big silver muley "timberbucks".I saw a then new,Pioneer saw,boil the fuel in the tank at an elevation of 10,000,but it had plenty of power[1974]As a side note,we had to set it on the lean side,and also had to retard the timing on our trucks and Jeeps,because of the elevation .It also takes people a bit of time to get used to as well.The air is real clean,that high,but rather thin,so to speak.

thanks for the info, i got the carb adjusted today. my saw must be ancient because it has the hand pump oiler.

you're right, its hard to breathe much less work at that elevation. its just below timberline, in a heavy spruce/fir forest. I'm building a finnish log sauna with a living space above, got the sauna built last fall, the 2nd story living space hopefully this season. i've cut what seems like a million trees in the last 3 years.

did you know wolcott colorado is a golf course now?

Latest posts

Back