Carb adjustment screwdrivers and the EPA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
For anyone wondering why dealers including me refuse to sell the carb adjustment tools.

Scan0002.jpg
This is the Husqvarna version:

To All Servicing Dealers,
It has come to our attention that certain proprietary carburetor adjustment tools are
becoming more readily available on the open market. These tools are necessary for the
proper adjustment of carburetors to ensure compliance with U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency emission regulations when service work is being performed.
US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40: Protection of Environment
§1068.101(b) states:
(2) Defeat devices. You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or
install, any part that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of
emissions of any regulated pollutant … (EPA) may assess a civil penalty up to
$3,750 for each part in violation.
By selling the carburetor adjustment tools to consumers or making it available on the
internet, you may be viewed as selling a “Defeat device” and be subject to the above
penalties.
Please assist us to ensure these tools are only being used by your qualified staff and are
not made available for retail sale to the general public.
The part number for this tool is: 530 03 55-60 and is shown below.
Thank you for your support ensuring we are all operating in accordance with U.S
Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations.
Anthony Marchese
Vice President Part Sales and Service

Maybe i should forward this to makita-dolmar hope they can read my half a$$ German, I'm sure they would appreciate this.
Hallo, dolmar makita müssen sie design technologie zur umgehung der EPA-entscheidungen.

Funny how there is no due process in any of that. Seems like any random Joe that wants to adjust their carb is guilty until proven innocent. For the most part people are trying to adjust a tool they bought with their own money to their standards. You aren't allowed to do that in America anymore? Its not like a vehicle that goes thru emissions testing every few years. How long is ope supposed to remain compliant for? Only so many hours. Then it's ok to pollute? Can I get a carb adjusting tool after my line trimmer has a few hundred hours on it? Wtf.

EPA blows chunks in many cases.

I really think the manufacturers are misinterpreting something here. A carburetor isn't really an emission control device like a catalytic converter. Also off road vehicle manufacturers have no problem putting user adjustable carburetors on their products ( at least the one's that aren't yet FI)

It's almost as though the manufacturers have something to gain through these ridiculous policies. What that is I have no idea.

Also of note is that all this information is directly from manufacturers not the EPA.

The funny thing is it doesn't describe limiter caps in any way shape or form on the Makita bulletin. What it seems to describe is a carb with either auto tune or non adjustable jets.

EPA= A vastly bloated and overly intrusive agency that is allowed to write regulation out of thin air that carries the full weight of law without our legislators' approval... To hell with them!!

Now that my little rant is complete...

My grandmother bought a brand new Troybilt weedeater from Lowes a couple of years back. This thing ran like absolute GARBAGE right out of the box... It was obvious to me that it was set much too lean. It would not build RPM, had no power to run at all, and it required the choke to be left halfway on to be able to even touch the throttle and not have it stall out.

So I say to myself, this is easy enough, it's just set too lean from the factory.. Then I looked at the jets.. They are almost completely round with a single small flat area, and encased in bosses with a very small amount of space between the jet heads and bosses that surrounded them. Obviously a special tool was required for this carb adjustment. I was able to grip the jets with a pair of very small needle-nose pliers just enough to open the jets to get proper running characteristics.

What a bunch of crap! These unaccountable hacks make these mandates so stringent that you can't even buy a product that works properly even at a small level! And not only that, something set that lean is not going to be long for this world to begin with... But that's OK, I'm sure the tyrants at the EPA are happy to know that 1 less 2-stroke is out there polluting their pathetic little utopian world.... But I'm certain that THEIR weedwackers all work properly....

The funny thing is it doesn't describe limiter caps in any way shape or form on the Makita bulletin. What it seems to describe is a carb with either auto tune or non adjustable jets.
Makita/Dolmar doesn't use limiter caps so why would they need to mention them. D,DD, micro D is how their carbs are tamper proof. Same with husky...spline tool...No limiter

Makita/Dolmar doesn't use limiter caps so why would they need to mention them. D,DD, micro D is how their carbs are tamper proof. Same with husky...spline tool...No limiter

Not all Husqvarna models. My 338 top handle adjusts with a small flat head screwdriver and has limited motion. It seems still available as a Jonsorend 2139 at this time. Strangely it came right or a little rich so no need to modify whatever limits the motion, at least with the muffler in tact.

Some of this stuff just isn't enforced. It used to be maybe it still is on the books if you get an email ,spam, just hit reply and type remove in the body. Telemarketers now seem able to tell you they do not know how to remove your number or offer to give you a number to call. A person can see that some stuff is there just to stack up infractions or arbitrary enforcement.

EPA= A vastly bloated and overly intrusive agency that is

What a bunch of crap! These unaccountable hacks make these mandates so stringent that you can't even buy a product that works properly even at a small level! And not only that, something set that lean is not going to be long for this world to begin with... But that's OK, I'm sure the tyrants at the EPA are happy to know that 1 less 2-stroke is out there polluting their pathetic little utopian world.... But I'm certain that THEIR weedwackers all work properly....

The plan seems to make rules and then leave it up to manufacturers how to meet them. As discussed on here they have modified patent rules to help. There are plenty of examples of end users being inconvenienced in the mean time.

Apparently drilling out jets that can not be adjusted like on log splitters if done by someone skilled can make them run very well.

EPA= A vastly bloated and overly intrusive agency that is allowed to write regulation out of thin air that carries the full weight of law without our legislators' approval... To hell with them!!

My grandmother bought a brand new Troybilt weedeater from Lowes a couple of years back. This thing ran like absolute GARBAGE right out of the box... It was obvious to me that it was set much too lean. It would not build RPM, had no power to run at all, and it required the choke to be left halfway on to be able to even touch the throttle and not have it stall out.

So I say to myself, this is easy enough, it's just set too lean from the factory.. Then I looked at the jets.. They are almost completely round with a single small flat area, and encased in bosses with a very small amount of space between the jet heads and bosses that surrounded them. Obviously a special tool was required for this carb adjustment. I was able to grip the jets with a pair of very small needle-nose pliers just enough to open the jets to get proper running characteristics.

Yup ,you nailed it I feel the same!

By my definition it isn't tamper proof if a tool fits it. Tamper with an auto tune carb and see where it gets you.

Not all Husqvarna models. My 338 top handle adjusts with a small flat head screwdriver and has limited motion. It seems still available as a Jonsorend 2139 at this time. Strangely it came right or a little rich so no need to modify whatever limits the motion, at least with the muffler in tact.

Some of this stuff just isn't enforced. It used to be maybe it still is on the books if you get an email ,spam, just hit reply and type remove in the body. Telemarketers now seem able to tell you they do not know how to remove your number or offer to give you a number to call. A person can see that some stuff is there just to stack up infractions or arbitrary enforcement.
Ok could have stated it better. None that i know of have anything but the spline.

I have the same issue with a troy weedeater, co-worker gave it to me BC it wouldn't run. Workaround is use the choke...I'm sure running it on 3/4 choke isn't passing emissions spec but as it is a string trimmer more power isn't really needed. I'll get to it someday (unless I cook it).

I have the same issue with a troy weedeater, co-worker gave it to me BC it wouldn't run. Workaround is use the choke...I'm sure running it on 3/4 choke isn't passing emissions spec but as it is a string trimmer more power isn't really needed. I'll get to it someday (unless I cook it).

That is a big part of why it is so ridiculous to me...

I hear you about it being just a line trimmer and not needing a ton of power.. But this one would just lean bog with any application of throttle.

Since I was able to "tamper" with the carb, it's actually a pretty good little runner for work around the yard and runs like a descent weed-wacker should.

It just makes me wonder, does anyone at the factory even batch test these things for proper operation before sending them on their way?? Also makes me wonder how many warrantee claims the store/manufacturer eats on all of this equipment that would otherwise run as intended if dialed in properly....I know if I was the average schlub that didn't know a spark plug from a carburetor that I would be completely dissatisfied with a product like that and promptly return it for a refund...

God I despise the EPA.....

cash sale from dealer for carb adjustment tool is a no brainer. Even if i hadn't bought the tool from them, he tunes the saws for free, but he doesn't come to the woods!

I wonder why those same manufacturers won't allow Canadian dealers to sell those carb adjusting tools to Canadian customers. I realize the EPA is rather far reaching, but they are an American agency, after all. I went to my local Husqvarna dealer and he said he couldn't sell me the tool, as Husqvarna would fine him some ridiculous amount of money (a lot more than the amount stated above). I bought the 4 pack carb adjusting tool kit online, thank you very much.

EPA is a US agency and does not have jurisdiction over our neighbors to the north.. But I am sure that you have your own version of them up there as well....

I wonder why those same manufacturers won't allow Canadian dealers to sell those carb adjusting tools to Canadian customers. I realize the EPA is rather far reaching, but they are an American agency, after all. I went to my local Husqvarna dealer and he said he couldn't sell me the tool, as Husqvarna would fine him some ridiculous amount of money (a lot more than the amount stated above). I bought the 4 pack carb adjusting tool kit online, thank you very much.

I can't say for sure why the Husqvarna dealer told you that. They have such a tiny market share in Ontario I doubt very highly that they would be fined at all. Most of the dealers I know want out of their dealer agreement because of the big box stores selling Husqvarna equipment. Before I started working for my dealer I had no issues getting the carb tools. But then again that was a Stihl dealer. I think he just wanted to be a prick and made up that story for you.

Back