carb cleaning...serious business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carb?????????

I had a similar problem that I thought was the carb. It turned out to be the ignition coil. My dealer also thought it was the carb and rebuilt it and got it running, I don't know how. Took it home same problem.

I had the same problem on the walbro from my 361. It turned out to be one of the valves beneath the welch plug I screwed up by using too much psi on the compressor while cleaning. I got another used carb and the damn saw fired up perfectly.

Berryman Chem-Dip at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, about 18.00 per gallon can, with a dip tray.

I wouldn't use that in todays' carbs...to many plastic and rubber parts in hidden check valves. Stihl doesn't want us to use carb cleaner (inside the carbs) any more - even the Stihl brand. They recommend brake clean - but not the stuff that has acetone etc, but the tetraflorethylene type - like CRC

I wouldn't use that in todays' carbs...to many plastic and rubber parts in hidden check valves. Stihl doesn't want us to use carb cleaner (inside the carbs) any more - even the Stihl brand. They recommend brake clean - but not the stuff that has acetone etc, but the tetraflorethylene type - like CRC

:agree2:

I've got a 361 carb off a runner that was smashed if you need it. I could trade it for some 075 piston rings for my Pioneer RA.

Are you referring to the rings I had on swap meet? Part # 1111 034 3006? If so, done deal, they are yours.

A point well taken! I use it to clean out mufflers and cylinders and the like.
I think it might be a wee bit tough on paper-thin diaphragms......

But it IS a decent carbon loosener and degreaser, and it is still available.

Thanks fer pointin that out, O Keeper of the Flame!

Contrary to what some believe, a carb replacement is sometimes the best route. I try my best to not just be a "parts changer", but when you figure the cost of the kit and the labor I need to charge to do it, sometimes the customer gets better "value" in a new carb.

You can't service the check valves and if everything looks good when you take it apart with no obvious diaphragm issues or dirt issues, a rebuild starts to get into the gamble catagory.

On your own saw with free labor, it isn't a bad gamble to take, but you can't charge a customer to "try" and fix their saw.

If I don't see any diaphragm issues, I will usually give it a few cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner and give it a go, but if that doesn't do the trick I'm not going to donate any more time to the job.

Back