Carb Issues 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Today I was out doing my thing (cutting oak) with my trusty Stihl 028 and it did not want to 4 stroke.I enriched it up and still no 4 stroke.Anyway,back in the garage I had a new carburetor kit on hand and proceeded to spray all internal passages with cleaner.Removed the tab screw that holds the pin that allows gas to enter the diaphragm. A small spring is on one end of this.Anyway, while going to reassemble the spring went AWOL.I spent close to an hour but relocated it. IS their a special method to properly get this spring to stay put during assembly?It made repeated attempts at securing freedom however I managed to reinstall it into it's cell.
Side note, the saw in question now 4 strokes the way it is supposed to.Great throttle response!Thanks Ken

With my big sausage sized fingers, I can't touch this spring without it flying away to God only knows. I have 100's of old carbs that I can usually find a replacement when they launch into space. The best way I deal with them is a pair of needle nose tweezers and sometime a small screw driver with a magnet on the end of the handle. Them and piston pin clips are my downfall, plus my eyes aren't quite what they used to be doesn't help matters.

I put the spring in the carb body seat and the needle in the lever yoke then push the lever / needle down on the spring in one motion, works for me. I suppose you could put a dab of grease on the end of the spring to hold it in the seat if needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back