Carburetor Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry:

Well, I ruined my secind carburetor, trying to follow this sequence.

Synthetic safe Gunscrubber, gently sprayed, careful attention to detail, Walbro carb for an 028 Super, did not remove brass jet, but sprayed from both directions. Now the carb blows as much mist back out as it does into thecylinder, and it is flooding to wher it barely runs with the filter off, and it soaks my hand with a mist of fuel mix. WTF AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?!?!

I did teh same thing to a Tillotson for my 056 Mag last year. :cry:

I am about to go crazy. The saw ran before I redid the carb, everything looked like new, I did get a bit of dirt out of it. Only sprayed the little screen, did not remove it.

The little arm that holds the little plunger with the conical synthetic tip, it has a dimple where it covers the spring, I pointed the dimple down to hold the spring on place. Th only thing I can think is that the seat for that rubber tip has dirt on it and it wont let the tip seal the opening.

Pleas advise, I am out of ideas on this...

Just curious as to how you set the metering lever height on the walbro, they require a factory gauge or precise measurements, this is the one common thing that causes carb flooding like you described along with improper diaphragm amd gasket placement and the hooking of the needle valve to the metering lever and or hooking the diaphragm to the metering lever if so equipped.
Pioneerguy600

Just curious as to how you set the metering lever height on the walbro, they require a factory gauge or precise measurements, this is the one common thing that causes carb flooding like you described along with improper diaphragm amd gasket placement and the hooking of the needle valve to the metering lever and or hooking the diaphragm to the metering lever if so equipped.
Pioneerguy600

Oh, I never mess with that, it is above my pay grade. Maybe I am somehow changing that height when I reinstall the metering lever. Any advice on how to obtain a gauge?

Man I feel like a doofus....... I have had great success rebuilding car and lawn mower carburetors..........this is a different animal entirely.

Oh, I never mess with that, it is above my pay grade. Maybe I am somehow changing that height when I reinstall the metering lever. Any advice on how to obtain a gauge?

Man I feel like a doofus....... I have had great success rebuilding car and lawn mower carburetors..........this is a different animal entirely.

The Walbro gauges are sold online from some of the eBay stores, from a lot of the small engine repair shops and even our AS brother Fish has them in his eBay store. If you send him a PM he would most likely fix you up with one. It depends on the specific model of carb for the setting height and they are contained on the gauge that is shaped like a W with the settings stamped into it. The metering lever height is very important and causes either bad flooding or starvation if not set correctly for each particular carb model.
Pioneerguy600

Well I'll be danged if it don't work just fine now........ Must have had a bit of crud holding the metering assembly open which made its way out and now it runs rather well!

Sorry about all the fuss.......:ices_rofl:

I basically judge a good carb cleaner on how fast it will drop a flying wasp,
otherwise just use it to cut the grime on the exterior of something. or
squirt it in a lawn mower carb for a quick prime.
We have discussed a "how too" forum, area, sticky etc..
but was dropped until someone devised some better structure plan...
So let's come up with some good ideas.
I hate spending a lot of time on a how too thread, and it drops into oblivion
in a week or two........

Back