Carburetor Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt two carburetors, a Tillotsen and a Bing. Here are the steps I took. I do not claim to be an expert here so if you have any better suggestions please feel free to chime in.

• I usually clean off as much dirt and grime from the outside of the carburetor especially around the springs before I take it apart. I block both the inlet and the outlet with small pieces of crumpled paper towel and spray it with carburetor cleaner using the red plastic spray tube. I then blow it clean with compressed air.
• Make sure you have a selection of small screwdrivers in good shape. Since there are still a lot of slotted screws used, make sure your slotted screwdrivers have shape edges and fill the slot of the screws. File or grind if necessary making sure the screwdrivers are clean when you are done. If you ever see a watch maker he has a large set of small screwdrivers with a stone to keep them dressed.
• I have a magnetic tray to hold the small metal parts and screws. I use a section of the tray for each section of the carburetor I take apart.
• Start with the H and L adjustment screws. Turn them in until they gently bottom out. Count the number of half turns and mark it down. This makes it easier to start the saw when the carburetor is put back on. Bag and tag each screw with its spring. On some carbs both H and L are identical. I am not sure it matters if you mix them up. But to be on the save side, I put them back the way they came out.
• There is no reason to mess with the Large Stop screw. Just clean around the spring thoroughly with your carb spray.
• Remove the pump cover. Make a sketch of the cover orientation. As you remove the gaskets and diaphragms include the order of removal on your sketch. Make a note of which side the diaphragm circular metal plate is on. Compare the parts you take off with the new ones in the kit to make sure they are the same. Put the removed parts in a separate place so you don’t mix them up with the new ones.
• Follow the same procedure with the opposite side of the carburetor using a sketch to make sure everything is in the right order. I have noticed that the carburetor manufacturer usually locates screws, tabs, bosses, etc. to allow the parts to only go back together in the correct orientation, but don’t count on it when in doubt..
• Remove the needle and spring lever. Do it slowly and carefully so that the spring doesn’t fly away. Check the needle point for damage and wipe it clean. You may want to pressure test the carburetor after assembly.
• Remove any other internal plates and parts.
• I find the most difficult part of the rebuild is the little mesh filter screen. If you feel it is too difficult to install a new one don’t mess with it or remove carefully with a dental pick.
• On the Bing carburetor, I could not remove the brass jet. It just wouldn’t turn. I left it alone.
• With all of the parts removed I check the carb body for any gasket remnants stuck to the metal. I remove them with a dental pick and one of my sharp screw drivers. I also clean off the removed plates. Keep the dental pick out of any of the orifices !!
• I now flush all of the orifices and openings in the carb body with the spray cleaner. Make sure there is nothing left in the carburetor body to fly away before you start blasting it with cleaner and compressed air. If you left the screen in, be careful in that area when you use the compressed air. After flushing I use my compressor blow gun to blow out all of the orifices and opening. I then place the carburetor in a container of clear paint thinner, swirl it around and then blow it out again.
• Clean the rest of the parts in the same manner.
• Begin your assembly process. If you removed the screen filter and it is still in good shape and clean you may want to reuse it. If so carefully place it back into the opening with a clean tweezers or screwdriver or both. If you plan to use the new screen, this is how I did it. There probably is a better way. I have a set of Harbor Freight punches of varying diameters. I picked one that is smaller than the screen detent opening. I placed the screen on the opening carefully centering it. I then centered the punch on the screen and pressed it into place. I then used a smaller punch to make sure it was thoroughly seated.
• I then put back the float needle assembly. This is very tricky because of the danger of losing the spring.
• The rest of the assembly is the reverse of the disassembly with the aid of your sketches. Clean hands, clean bench and general cleanliness are of utmost importance. I use a clean piece of newspaper on my workbench.
• The last step is putting the H and L needles and springs back in. I put a slight touch of light oil on each needle thread. I am not sure everyone agrees with this. Set up each needle with the number of turns you previously recorded.
• If you have the equipment, you may want to pressure test the carburetor. (needle and seat). Most people roll the dice on this one.
• Put the carburetor back onto the saw and you are good to go. Make sure the area around the saw is clean before you put the carburetor back on.

Throttle Plate Wear

I noticed while rebuilding the Bing, that there is a small circular notch on the throttle plate on the bottom. I assume this lets bypass air in. Does the throttle plate wear in this area? I get a slight amount of chain rotation on my 038av during idle. I can't seem to close the throttle plate enough with the adjustment screw.

nice detail...
I noticed while rebuilding the Bing, that there is a small circular notch on the throttle plate on the bottom. I assume this lets bypass air in. Does the throttle plate wear in this area? I get a slight amount of chain rotation on my 038av during idle. I can't seem to close the throttle plate enough with the adjustment screw.
I'd say you have worn clutch springs if you can't stop it creeping at low idle. I don't think that idle air hole wears significantly to affect operation...

nice detail...

I'd say you have worn clutch springs if you can't stop it creeping at low idle. I don't think that idle air hole wears significantly to affect operation...

Agreed, definetely clutch springs. You could rich it out a bit on the L screw, just enough to slow it down some.

Nice step-by-step procedure! I try to make sure that whenever I use compressed air on delicate parts, that I keep the pressure dialed down below 50 psi.

I have had good results using a spray can of carb cleaner, using the procedure outlined by Lake in the current thread on a non-starting 026.

I also use air on flocked air filters, at moderate pressure FROM THE SIDE ONLY.

Seems to work for me........:greenchainsaw:

very nice thread, this site needs a whole subform with step by step repair threads like this.
we have a vast archive of very very good repair information on this site but its not organised at all, if anyone wants information on repair they have to use the search feature which most of the time doesn't lead to decent results. you have to sift through pages and pages of threads to find what your lookin for.
it would be nice if the admins could somehow tag threads like this and eventually put them into a subform.
if we had a subform full of step by step repair information it would really keep things like the same question popping up two times a week.

good info you posted, i would look forward to more like this

Great write up..

After carb cleaner, compressed air does little to help, and can ruin the internal check valves. The carbs you mention only have one -the outlet valve, but later carbs can have two, three or more - and all except the outlet are generally non-replaceable.

Any compressed air should be for "drying", not "clearing", which means you hold the air nozzle several inches from the carb. Carb cleaner squirted though the correct holes is all you need.

Stihl now says NOT to use carb cleaner except on the outside. The want you to use break cleaner (not brake fluid). I tend to use carb cleaner on the older carbs, but on the new epa carbs - not... it has to do with those pesky internal check valves again..

Last edited:
Stihl now says NOT to use carb cleaner except on the outside. The want you to use break cleaner (not brake fluid).

I wonder which solvent they are concerned about. If you look at MSDS of different products both brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner, the active ingredients vary by manufacturer with a lot of overlap.

very nice thread, this site needs a whole subform with step by step repair threads like this.
we have a vast archive of very very good repair information on this site but its not organised at all, if anyone wants information on repair they have to use the search feature which most of the time doesn't lead to decent results. you have to sift through pages and pages of threads to find what your lookin for.
it would be nice if the admins could somehow tag threads like this and eventually put them into a subform.
if we had a subform full of step by step repair information it would really keep things like the same question popping up two times a week.

good info you posted, i would look forward to more like this

I second that! :clap:
That would be much easier than trying to dig through all those old threads. I've been a member of various car forums and they all have a 'How To' section.

Is Stihl worried about carburetor cleaner because of the plastic parts in the carburetor. I notice that the Tillotsen use a large piece of it on the float mechanism. Also where is this check valve located? Is it made of metal?

I wonder which solvent they are concerned about. If you look at MSDS of different products both brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner, the active ingredients vary by manufacturer with a lot of overlap.

"Brake Cleaner" is basically tetraflorethelene... "Carb Cleaner" has acetone and other volatile components.

Is Stihl worried about carburetor cleaner because of the plastic parts in the carburetor. I notice that the Tillotsen use a large piece of it on the float mechanism. Also where is this check valve located? Is it made of metal?

Float mechanisum? It's more about the check valves...

Check valve - in your case, it's part of the brass nozzle that protrudes down into the venturi.

By float mechanism, I mean't the needle and seat that on a conventional carburetor is part of the float mechanism. On the Tillotsen, the needle mechanism sets in a large plastic plate. I switched the Tillotsen for a Bing.

I revised the write up based on comments from Lakeside and ICSO10. Thanks guys. Here is the new version.

Carburetor Rebuild - Rev. 1

I recently rebuilt two carburetors, a Tillotsen and a Bing. Here are the steps I took. I do not claim to be an expert here so if you have any better suggestions please feel free to chime in.

• I usually clean off as much dirt and grime from the outside of the carburetor especially around the springs before I take it apart. I block both the inlet and the outlet with small pieces of crumpled paper towel and spray it with carburetor cleaner using the red plastic spray tube. I then blow it clean with compressed air.
• One manufacturer (Stihl) now says not to use carburetor cleaner except on the outside of the carburetor. They suggest that you use brake cleaner (not brake fluid). It is probably acceptable to use carburetor cleaner on the older non EPA carburetors. On the new EPA carburetors it is safer to use the brake cleaner for risk of damaging some of the internal parts that are not removable or replaceable.
• Make sure you have a selection of small screwdrivers in good shape. Since there are still a lot of slotted screws used, make sure your slotted screwdrivers have shape edges and fill the slot of the screws. File or grind if necessary making sure the screwdrivers are clean when you are done. If you ever see a watch maker he has a large set of small screwdrivers with a stone to keep them dressed.
• I have a magnetic tray to hold the small metal parts and screws. I use a section of the tray for each section of the carburetor I take apart.
• Start with the H and L adjustment screws. Turn them in until they gently bottom out. Count the number of half turns and mark it down. This makes it easier to start the saw when the carburetor is put back on. Bag and tag each screw with its spring. On some carburetors both H and L are identical. I am not sure it matters if you mix them up. But to be on the safe side, I put them back the way they came out.
• There is no reason to mess with the Large Stop screw. Just clean around the spring thoroughly with your carburetor spray.
• Remove the pump cover. Make a sketch of the cover orientation. As you remove the gaskets and diaphragms include the order of removal on your sketch. Make a note of which side the diaphragm circular metal plate is on. Compare the parts you take off with the new ones in the kit to make sure they are the same. Put the removed parts in a separate place so you don’t mix them up with the new ones.
• Follow the same procedure with the opposite side of the carburetor using a sketch to make sure everything is in the right order. I have noticed that the carburetor manufacturer usually locates screws, tabs, bosses, etc. to allow the parts to only go back together in the correct orientation, but don’t count on it when in doubt..
• Remove the needle and spring lever. Do it slowly and carefully so that the spring doesn’t fly away. Check the needle point for damage and wipe it clean. You may want to pressure test the carburetor after assembly.
• Remove any other internal plates and parts.
• I find the most difficult part of the rebuild is the little mesh filter screen. If you feel it is too difficult to install a new one don’t mess with it or remove carefully with a dental pick.
• On the Bing carburetor, I could not remove the brass jet. It just wouldn’t turn. I left it alone.
• With all of the parts removed I check the carburetor body for any gasket remnants stuck to the metal. I remove them with a dental pick and one of my sharp screw drivers. I also clean off the removed plates. Keep the dental pick out of any of the orifices !!
• Using your can of carburetor or brake cleaner with a long nozzle, squirt up the H jet with your finger covering the H inlet in the metering chamber. You'll see fluid come out of the outlet valve in the venturi. Then clean the L jet. Cover the L inlet hole, and you'll see fluid come out of the three progression jets in the venturi near the throttle plate. Squirt cleaner into the inlet valve hole to clean that area. Follow with a flush of the entire carburetor body. Watch your eyes!!… Fluid can squirt out at you if you are not careful.
• Be careful blowing air into the carburetor!! You can ruin the check valves. After carburetor cleaner, compressed air does little to help, and can ruin the internal check valves. Some carburetors only have one -the outlet valve, but later carburetors can have two, three or more - and all except the outlet are generally non-replaceable. A gentle air wash a few inches away is all that is needed.
• Clean the rest of the parts in the same manner.
• Begin your assembly process. If you removed the screen filter and it is still in good shape and clean you may want to reuse it. If so carefully place it back into the opening with a clean tweezers or screwdriver or both. If you plan to use the new screen, this is how I did it. There probably is a better way. I have a set of Harbor Freight punches of varying diameters. I picked one that is smaller than the screen detent opening. I placed the screen on the opening carefully centering it. I then centered the punch on the screen and pressed it into place. I then used a smaller punch to make sure it was thoroughly seated.
• I then put back the float needle assembly. This is very tricky because of the danger of losing the spring.
• The rest of the assembly is the reverse of the disassembly with the aid of your sketches. Clean hands, clean bench and general cleanliness are of utmost importance. I use a clean piece of newspaper on my workbench.
• The last step is putting the H and L needles and springs back in. I put a slight touch of light oil on each needle thread. I am not sure everyone agrees with this. Set up each needle with the number of turns you previously recorded.
• If you have the equipment, you may want to pressure test the carburetor. (needle and seat). Most people roll the dice on this one.
• Put the carburetor back onto the saw and you are good to go. Make sure the area around the saw is clean before you put the carburetor back on.

Do you mean Gasoline71. If so the name of the Thread is Tillotsen Carburetors.

I learned that a freshly rebuilt dry carb would fail the pressure test. After running it a on the saw, with fuel inside, it passes the test. The needle seats better with fuel instead of air?

Haven't figured it out yet....

:cry:

Well, I ruined my secind carburetor, trying to follow this sequence.

Synthetic safe Gunscrubber, gently sprayed, careful attention to detail, Walbro carb for an 028 Super, did not remove brass jet, but sprayed from both directions. Now the carb blows as much mist back out as it does into thecylinder, and it is flooding to wher it barely runs with the filter off, and it soaks my hand with a mist of fuel mix. WTF AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?!?!

I did teh same thing to a Tillotson for my 056 Mag last year. :cry:

I am about to go crazy. The saw ran before I redid the carb, everything looked like new, I did get a bit of dirt out of it. Only sprayed the little screen, did not remove it.

The little arm that holds the little plunger with the conical synthetic tip, it has a dimple where it covers the spring, I pointed the dimple down to hold the spring on place. Th only thing I can think is that the seat for that rubber tip has dirt on it and it wont let the tip seal the opening.

Pleas advise, I am out of ideas on this...

Back