Carb Needed for Older Craftsman Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_cmc_2b

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Small Craftsman Chainsaw that is in need of a new Carburetor and I have been unable to locate one that I am sure is a direct replacement, that said I am hoping someone here will be able to help me solve my problem.

Craftsman
Model: 358.355140
Serial No: 1L021G583

Pictures included.
Craftsman Chainsaw - Small Grey One A.jpg

Craftsman Chainsaw - Small Grey One AB.jpg

Craftsman Chainsaw - Small Grey One ABC.jpg

Craftsman Chainsaw - Small Grey One ABCD.jpg

This is a Craftsman-branded Poulan 2000, no?

If so, it's a Walbro WA series but I don't know exactly which. You will have to take the carb out itself and find out. Simple little saw to take apart, for a top handle.

I took the carb off a few years back, when I cranked the saw for the 1st time and it ran for a few minutes then sputtered out and died... Now I am not sure if the carb I think fits it is the correct one, as it was not stored with the Saw, and I have replaced several 2 stroke carbs since I took the one off of this lil Craftsman...

What I came up with looking at the parts diagrams that I was able to find is that there were two possible carbs manufactures for this saw, one being Roper, and the Other being Walbro... The carb I have that I think may be the correct one is a Walbro and I plan on seeing if it fits the saw a little later today. The problem I have is that I have been unable to find a replacement carb that looks like the one I have and or is an exact cross reference for it. So I was hoping that some of you who have real world experience repairing older saws, would be able to tell me a for sure modern day aftermarket carb that would work on this lil Saw.

I will also get pics of the Carb I have, if it fits, and post it here later...

Like the guy said, you can cross reference that Craftsman to a Poulan and see more info about replacements.
You can also see good pictures on flea bay of carb's and parts.

Some of them little Poulans/Craftsman's like that will really surprise you about how good they run/cut/start when all is correct.

I have some S25's Poulans that are similar and they are keepers.
I think I have a little old Craftsman that looks like yours, just looking at the outer shell.

I am pretty sure they use a WA, ironically I just asked that same question in the Poulan thread this morning.

I have an Echo and Sachs-Dolmar top handles on the bench right now both needing a carb kit so I ordered 4 of them from ebay. Supposedly shipped from the US so hopefully they arrive before the next ice age. LOL

Welcome aboard.

That’s a Sears Craftsman branded Poulan 2000 micro, it uses a common Walbro WT-20 carb.

I ‘think’ the WA-19 from the Poulan S25 series would also work though, plus the older WT-3, both on fleabay.

Download the owners manual with IPL via sears parts direct website.

Here's the pics of the carb I have.

Attachments

• 20200828_175800a.jpg
    20200828_175800a.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200828_175806.jpg
    20200828_175806.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200828_175814.jpg
    20200828_175814.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200828_175824.jpg
    20200828_175824.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200828_175829.jpg
    20200828_175829.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200828_180305.jpg
    20200828_180305.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 13
UPDATE:

I cleaned the carb I had posted pics of, and put it on, but the fuel line was not long enough and it was not broke, but I replaced it because it was old and dry, anyway, the saw still will not start.

With that said, which Carb do y'all think I should order for this little saw.

I'd really like to get it running because I have lots of smaller trees and hedges I'd like to take down before the spring of 2021 and this little saw is the perfect size to do that. I'm gun shy of buying a new saw, because the worst luck I've had in the last 20 years with outdoor power equipment was the bad investment in a New Stihl Farm Boss that never would crank right even after going back to the dealer to be fixed with less than 10 hours on it along with a commercial grade Stihl Weed Wacker bought along with the Farm Boss, that was always hard to crank, and after about year two had to have a new carb every year. Not long after buying those two new units, I picked up a fairly new Commercial Stihl Weed Whacker so I could have one with string on it and another with a Brush Cutting Blade on it, and it acted just like the new one I had bought. Previous to wasting my money on the Stihls thinking I was stepping up in the world, I had used McCulloch, Weed-Eater, and other Big Box Store Brands without having these problems, and even if they did start giving problems 2 or 3 years in, I didn't mind, because I had already worked them hard, over & over, and they didn't cost me that much when I bought them to start with... Oh well this is probably more back ground info than y'all need, but if you managed to read all of this, thanks for your time and I hope you have a great day!

Did you put in a rebuild kit or just clean the carb and reassemble it?

It may not be the carb that is the issue. Throw a tablespoon of mix down the carb, hold the throttle wide open, and try to start it. If it goes, it will burn through the fuel you dumpped in, then stop. BUT you will then know that the issue is truely a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't go, there's more going on than just no fuel.

Did you put in a rebuild kit or just clean the carb and reassemble it?

It may not be the carb that is the issue. Throw a tablespoon of mix down the carb, hold the throttle wide open, and try to start it. If it goes, it will burn through the fuel you dumpped in, then stop. BUT you will then know that the issue is truely a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't go, there's more going on than just no fuel.

When I was tinkering with it the other day, I sprayed a little starting fluid in it and it busted right off... I'm honestly not even sure that the carb I put back on it is the right one, as I have changed so many out in recent years...

Do you have a working one to sell

Have what worked when pulled for parts. I honestly would say they need kit after setting in bin for years now. Has to be old stiff dias in them dried up.

If you have one why not rebuild yours? Like 6-10 for kits.

Cost you more for my time and kit to rebuild and make sure a good one for you then saws worth. Why these are saws you need to learn to do IMHO.

My runner since new 94. Never had a carb kit to date )least from what I recall). Surprising to me.

p2000l.jpg

Have what worked when pulled for parts. I honestly would say they need kit after setting in bin for years now. Has to be old stiff dias in them dried up.

If you have one why not rebuild yours? Like 6-10 for kits.

Cost you more for my time and kit to rebuild and make sure a good one for you then saws worth. Why these are saws you need to learn to do IMHO.

My runner since new 94. Never had a carb kit to date )least from what I recall). Surprising to me.

View attachment 999037

I see that this is a old thread that has come alive.

You are correct about them little saws. Just need to repair them yourself.
Their are several Models/series of Craftsman/Poulans that use the same parts and lots of carb's, parts and carb kits over on flea bay.

I've got several of those versions that I use for jeep and trail/trim saws and the carb seems to be the one thing on those that gives me the least amount of trouble and they are very old. Most generally if I just replace the complete fuel lines I can get a good run.
The really good small chainsaws were the Poulan S25 series. (these are worth while to get restored most generally being more reliable and built for the long haul)

Latest posts

Back