Carb on Husqvarna 435

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slade McCuiston

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a Husqvarna 435 that's a few years old and the carb has never been adjusted since the factory. Recently It has got to where it will die if I leave it to idle for more than a few seconds (literally... five seconds, sometimes ten seconds). This saw runs like a beast otherwise. This means the idle screw needs to be turned up. No big deal, right?

The screws on this saw are D-shaped, apparently, because of some CARB compliance crap. That's my first problem.

Second, I don't have a T screw. I have a L and H screw. I guess I might be able to turn the L screw to achieve my goal, but I have never had to do that before, as I have always had a T screw.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tune it with the L screw. Try tiny needle nose pliers.

Thanks. I figured that I could, but I'd never had to before. I definitely didn't want to tune it with the L screw and then find out there's a hidden screw or something.

Not sure if there's an idle screw. Not familiar with that model. However, it should be tuned every time you run it. Not just every few years.

Well, while it's no excuse, I really didn't feel like going out and buying the tool if it didn't get any worse. But it has, and I'm tired of it. It would be properly adjusted if they would use a regular friggin' screw like every other saw I've used. This emissions stuff is really starting to ruffle my feathers. I'll head to the shop tomorrow and see if I can reach the L screw with some needle nose pliers, but the depth of the hole makes me think that it isn't going to work.

Cut a slot in the head with a Dremel so you can fit a normal screwdriver.

Idle or "T" screw on a 435 is above the H,L screws. H,L screws use the spline tool, get the proper tool if you can find one as it works great. Way better than fishing around with a standard screwdriver.
Yeah, I hate having to use a flat blade screwdriver to adjust a running saw. The splined and D tools are so much easier to use. You can even let go of them sometimes and they stay on.

I feel like a retard. The T screw was hidden behind the starter rope. It's adjusted and runs beautiful now. Thanks, guys!

Back