Carb Rebuild Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey, People! I am rebuilding (ok, I just finished rebuilding) the carb on an 041 Farm Boss. I was having trouble keeping it started and idling correctly.. I also noticed that when it did idle, it idled unevenly, in a series of low frequency surges. Once spooled up, the saw seems to go like hell, plenty of power. In the back of my mind I am also considering rings.. I don't have a way to test compression numerically, but the saw does pass the "lift-it-by-the-pull-cord test. I will say that it seems to pull over easily during starts, though.

Question: When I popped the carb off the saw, there was no black diamond shaped gasket on the top or bottom of the carb (like the kind that came with the rebuild kit.) There were, however, soft, green plastic pads which seemed to me would make a pretty good seal. Are those green pads gaskets or was the saw missing parts? I have not put the saw back together pending your thoughts. As I am writing this, I'm getting the distinct feeling this is a newbie question. Sorry guys, I gotta start somewhere.

The 041 is notorious for air leaks in the stack of crap between the carb and
cylinder due to vibrations etc. Yes, it needs a gasket between each one, also check the impulse line while you are in there.

How it done?

Thanks guys.. any easy way to check base gasket? I was going to see if carb rebuild worked ('cuz its easy, cheap, and made sense), then see about other things. I have an impulse line on the way, but the one that there actually seems ok... cheap, though, so out it goes!

If you unstack all that stuff on top of the cylinder you may see a peice peeking out from the base, the last one I replaced seemed to have shrunk and a peice blew out, you may also see streaks in any dust where it bolts down.

Thanks, guys!

Hey thanks, guys! I installed the gaskets (left the green pads in place) put it all back together. It took a bit for gas to get to the carb, but once gas began to flow the thing fired right up. Runs and idles great. Locktite on everything this time. The "Boss" lives!

Latest posts

Back