Carbon Fiber Spikes for speed climbing competitions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the forum.

I am a serious competitor in the speed climbing events at lumberjack sports competitions. For years our standard gear has been bashlin aluminum or buckingham titanium spurs. For traditional events we use them stock. For the open events we modifiy them by connecting the base of the shaft to an athletic shoe right behind the toes via two 3/8" stainless steel carriage bolts. We remove screws from the upper allowing it to "telescope" up and down the upper shaft. This allows us a more longer and more natural range of movement, and we are also able to utilize our calf muscles and more of the hamstring. Times can be a second faster in a 60 foot climb and well over two seconds in a 90 foot climb due to less fatigue.

I see that there are carbon fiber spurs by a company called Gecko on the market now. Here are few questions about them I hope someone can answer.

1) How will they fare compared to bashlin aluminum and buckingham titanium spurs in the impact resitance department. If you see the way we come down, you'll know what I'm talking about. I've only ever slightly bent the upper shaft on the bashlins. Other guys have broken them. I'm hoping that the carbon fiber is flexible in the sense and will provide a bit of shock resistance without any permanent contortion or breaking???

2) How would the base shaft hold up to having two 3/8" holes drilled in them? Is there a special type of drill bit that would be ideal for this.

3) Is there an option for the upper to telescope on the shaft like most metal or alloy spurs. This would be a necessity in using them for the open events?

4) Can spurs be switched out? We normally use strait pole gaffs, but will got to longer or bent gaffs in certain types of trees or if they are really chewed up.

5) What are the Gecko factory uppers like? Are they carbon fiber as well?

6) Also, I've seen some chatter about European vs. American style gaffs. What is the difference?

Thanks a bunch!

Where have you been? carbon fibre spikes have been around forever, and not just from gecko. Most of your questions can be answered on the manufacturers websites.

I thought all you lumberjack guys used toe spurs anyhow.

The modified spurs I talk about for open events are "toe spurs". I've since found out that the geckos won't work as the upper and bottom shaft are connected. I need an upper that can telescope along the shin shaft like a bashlin or buckingham if you took the pins that fix the upper out.

What other brands of carbon fiber spurs are there. I'm not finding any brands out there besides the geckos.

Latest posts

Back