modifying geckos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never try to bend aluminum stress fractures occur, weakening the buggers. even with heating them (unless you damn near melt the aluminum). you can bend the lowers and any other part of a steel piece but youve gotta heat them up first, bend them and heat treat them afterward. aside of being a mechanic for 12 years for a shop that works predominantly on hot rods and dragsters, i ran a smithy out at my house for ####s and giggles, making knives. i use solid steel gaffs because i knew i could mod them. welded anchor plates onto the top, stiff foam from a weight lifting belt (material laminates on outer surfaces) for the outer part of the wrap and i got fancy with some memory foam for the inner cushion part of the wrap. 2" safety strap to secure them to my legs with a wing nut tightened clamp bar. i never get sore shins anymore. worked out better than i had hoped they would although they are a touch heavy, not enough to bother me though.

That takes too long and is hard on the feet, shins and spurs. And it used up lots of energy that is better used getting work done.
Says the guy talking about taking 4' steps down spars ?
That puts undue stress on every part of your body, starting at yoyur ankles all the way up to your shoulders and neck. Unless your comp climbing or just extremely macho, is just plain stupid.
Especially if your actually trying to make a living with your body that is.
I dont understand not roping out of trees now, its too easy we have too many techiniques for ropeing out of standing spars to not do it.
I understand the hotdog attitude, that is fine, and it has its place, but you cant turn around and go oh yeah dont do this other thing, its 'hard on your body', not and be taken seriously.

Learn how to read.
You took my comment totally out of context. .
Driving your gaffs into a tree is hard on feet, legs, spurs ect. . It wastes energy. You should be able to just walk up the tree, not Stomp your way up. I would say my average step down is in the 24" range. But I'm old and fat

So, to reinterate. A guy should be able to walk up and walk down. Stomping is a waste of effort and shows you need to either get used to belt and spur climbing and or adjust/ sharpen your spurs/ climbers.

Says the guy talking about taking 4' steps down spars ?
That puts undue stress on every part of your body, starting at yoyur ankles all the way up to your shoulders and neck. Unless your comp climbing or just extremely macho, is just plain stupid.
Especially if your actually trying to make a living with your body that is.
I dont understand not roping out of trees now, its too easy we have too many techiniques for ropeing out of standing spars to not do it.
I understand the hotdog attitude, that is fine, and it has its place, but you cant turn around and go oh yeah dont do this other thing, its 'hard on your body', not and be taken seriously.

Pretty cocky to be giving tramp any advice on spur climbing. I may chat with him from time to time on rigging techniques, but I'm sure not gonna do anything bt listen with respect when it comes to spurrin em, and yeah, I Know a little bit about spur climbin, but he's spurred more than I've ever looked at. Jeff.

I don't have anything against repelling down out of a tree. Just that I don't have much reason to yet. And if your from Salmon Arm you should know about tall timber and high climbers and tower loggers. They have had some good timber shows there in the summer.

I'm still trying to figure out how to pack 250' of repelling line up the tree.

I don't have anything against repelling down out of a tree. Just that I don't have much reason to yet. And if your from Salmon Arm you should know about tall timber and high climbers and tower loggers. They have had some good timber shows there in B.C. in the summer.

I don't have anything against repelling down out of a tree. Just that I don't have much reason to yet. And if your from Salmon Arm you should know about tall timber and high climbers and tower loggers. They have had some good timber shows there in B.C. in the summer.

Easy, just tie one end on and get heavier with every step up.

No no no. Unless you want to get ripped out of a big spruce or hemlock when you cut a 300 lb limb off, it falls 50' gets tangled in your line and comes to a screaming halt. Guys have had it happen when a limb grabbed their pass rope
That's why I keep my pass rope coiled on a piece of 3/8" plywood and clipped on the back of my saddle. I used to keep one coiled up and clipped to the back of my climbing belt.

I've heard that Delta and the SEALs repell out of helicopters with 6 or 7 mm line.

No no no. Unless you want to get ripped out of a big spruce or hemlock when you cut a 300 lb limb off, it falls 50' gets tangled in your line and comes to a screaming halt. Guys have had it happen when a limb grabbed their pass rope
That's why I keep my pass rope coiled on a piece of 3/8" plywood and clipped on the back of my saddle. I used to keep one coiled up and clipped to the back of my climbing belt.

I've heard that Delta and the SEALs repell out of helicopters with 6 or 7 mm line.

It's all body positioning and line management. Been doin it a long time, never been ripped out of a tree. Rope goes to opposite side ofthe tree, just gotta plan your climb.

Back