Carburetors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before.
I've been working on older saws and I'm having a difficult time running down zama, tillotson and walbro carbs. All I can find are the Chinese brands. Are the china carbs worth a damn or not?

I actually almost always just rebuilt the OEM carbs with a kit but when I search for the rebuild kits, I see all of the Chinese carbs and it makes me wonder about their quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

People on here have had pretty good luck with them. Me on the other hand tried one for my Yamaha kodiak 450. It worked great for a while but then it was back to square one. I’m in the process of rebuilding the original Japanese one now. I figured for about 35 bucks it was worth it.

It’s a real pain in the ass to take one off of the kodiak. You have to take the entire tank off.

Im sure there will be some replying shortly.

I apologize if this has been asked before.
I've been working on older saws and I'm having a difficult time running down zama, tillotson and walbro carbs. All I can find are the Chinese brands. Are the china carbs worth a damn or not?

I actually almost always just rebuilt the OEM carbs with a kit but when I search for the rebuild kits, I see all of the Chinese carbs and it makes me wonder about their quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Do any of the Chinese brands you're referring to have the tilly, walbro, or zama names?

The thing to watch with the china carbs is the design. They might bolt in the actual spot of the oem carb but they might be designed differently if you care. Like they might not have an accelerator pump on a saw that had one, or they might draw the L from the H which can sometimes cause a funky idle. What is cool with chainsaw carbs is if you stay within the same family like HD/HDA it doesnt much matter what the actual model of the carb you put on the saw so long as you pick the right size venturi and take the shafts and sometimes pump and metering covers from your original carb just to make it fit. Its also nice that everything from a tiny WT with a 9mm venturi and a C3 with a 17.5mm venturi all use the same 31mm bolt hole spacing, the bigger ones are just longer in the airflow direction (and use different sized shafts).

ive had good lucky with the am carbs only ones ive had back lucky with is the ones for the fs 90 everyone i bought didnt work

With Tillotsen bring up www tillotson.ie they list all the carbs &bits they have, an Email Inquiry for old parts will let you know whats available

Back