carlton 7015 with apparent charging problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairbanks Stump

iStumpgrinder
Reaction score
I have a Carlton 7015 that appears not to be charging the Battery
What Ive Done
- replaced Battery
- Replaced Positive & Negitive Cables from Battery to main frame
- tested voltage and seems to be loosing as it Idled
- I purchased it used and the bulb for the alternator was/is missing?
- ?????

does any one Know how to check the charging legs of the stator on the 60Hp Deutz engine?

are you talking about the lamp on the panel that shows the oil press, batt.? if the bulb is gone it won't charge, the systsem is like the old chev alt's where you need pwr to the alt to energize the alt to charge. also check the main conector to the engine ,they can coroide , clean and use diolectric grease on all conections.

thanks .... to test your theory can I take th Oil pressure bulb and put it in the ALT hole ? will that cause the machine not to run? I will try it this AM?

and make sure the light comes on key on eng off. then goes off eng running. if not check wiring to bulb and after. if all works get a another bulb for the oil press.

Once again I am responding to a post from a year ago yet same thing happened with my 7015.

If the alternator bulb is burned out the charging system shuts down except that it still charged a little bit at full rpm. Areyakiddinme? The alternator bulb is just an idiot light, an indicator of how your system is charging so it certainly shouldn't CAUSE the charging system failure. As an analogy, my truck's dashboard has a low tire pressure light - if that bulb burns out would all four tires suddenly go flat? I kept switching and charging batteries for a week before my Deutz dealer clued me as to the burned out bulb causing the failure.

Once again I am responding to a post from a year ago yet same thing happened with my 7015.

If the alternator bulb is burned out the charging system shuts down except that it still charged a little bit at full rpm. Areyakiddinme? The alternator bulb is just an idiot light, an indicator of how your system is charging so it certainly shouldn't CAUSE the charging system failure. As an analogy, my truck's dashboard has a low tire pressure light - if that bulb burns out would all four tires suddenly go flat? I kept switching and charging batteries for a week before my Deutz dealer clued me as to the burned out bulb causing the failure.

The alternator is not a self exciting alternator. It needs to be energized to excite and charge. The power that excites it runs through the alt light bulb. If it's burned out, the circut is not complete and it won't charge.

Back