Carlton chipper chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3qdz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Finally, my Husky 550xp straightened out with a new carb I have full faith in the saw to put it in the lineup! I run a 372xp with Oregon chisel and have been pseudo happy out of the box with it. I tweek it a bit (file down the rakers) and so far does a good job.

I also run a 435 Husky with Stihl Rapid super and have ben very happy with that out of the box. I have a helper last week to give me a hand, he was running a Dolmar something I can't remember the model number but, he was slinging a Carlton Chipper chain.

I know the saw was bone stock with a 058 on a 20" bar. I picked his up and the steel performed not so bad..... I have never messed with Carlton. Looking on the forums here I don't know what model to order for the 550xp. I run Oregon 21px on the 550xp now. The saw runs a .058 with a 16" bar

What carlton in a chipper should I look for.........

I don't know of any brands that make chipper chain in pitches and gauges that are usable on chainsaws today.

Semi chisel likely is what you want - it is not the same thing as chipper! ;)

The top plate of chipper is rounded all the way, while on semi chisel only the "corner" is rounded.

I don't know of any brands that make chipper chain in pitches and gauges that are usable on chainsaws today.

Semi chisel likely is what you want - it is not the same thing as chipper! ;)

The top plate of chipper is rounded all the way, while on semi chisel only the "corner" is rounded.

Well that is strange! I have ordered it in the past and could order some more chipper chain tomorrow from one of my contacts. It is 3/8" 050 and is perfectly usable on my modern saws. It is genuine chipper chain. I don't have any loops now (or i could post a picture!) as i don't really use it as it does cut noticeably slower than a good semi chisel chain. Much in the same way that semi will cut slower than full chisel. If i am cutting something really dirty and gritty that semi chisel cannot handle, i go straight for a carbide chain. No half measures and no time wasting mucking about! ;)

Here is the info from his stock listing as i received in only last week:
Carlton A1S 3/8"X0.050" Chipper chain Limited quantity

Well that is strange! I have ordered it in the past and could order some more chipper chain tomorrow from one of my contacts. It is 3/8" 050 and is perfectly usable on my modern saws. It is genuine chipper chain. I don't have any loops now (or i could post a picture!) as i don't really use it as it does cut noticeably slower than a good semi chisel chain. Much in the same way that semi will cut slower than full chisel. If i am cutting something really dirty and gritty that semi chisel cannot handle, i go straight for a carbide chain. No half measures and no time wasting mucking about! ;)

Here is the info from his stock listing as i received in only last week:
Carlton A1S 3/8"X0.050" Chipper chain Limited quantity

OK, I didn't know about that one - but I guess there is a reason for the "Limited quantity" comment?

OK, I didn't know about that one - but I guess there is a reason for the "Limited quantity" comment?

Yes. He is down to his last few 100 foot rolls in 3/8 050. He also has Carlton chipper chain B3S in .404" 0.063 gauge and also has it in a much more plentiful supply. :)

Yes. He is down to his last few 100 foot rolls in 3/8 050. He also has Carlton chipper chain B3S in .404" 0.063 gauge and also has it in a much more plentiful supply. :)

My brother is a fan of chipper chain in .404 for some use, but his saws usually are large and ported (+ otherwise modified), some even with "short-pipe" mufflers.

Latest posts

Back