Carlton, Oregon or WoodsmanPro chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarioMO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Of the ones I named, which chain is best (say round chisel) ?

I only heard of these 3 brands...if you know any good ones, please do add it too.

Much as I like to stick with Stihl chains, they are very expensive (even on eBay).

Thanks!

Carlton and woodsman pro are the same thing. they just rebadged it at Baileys. still good chain. I use mostly Carlton since its a nice compromise on hardness, and durability. I cant even touch the Stihl chains with my file, dont ask me why, I just cant. oregon is too soft for my liking, so I just leave that alone.

I have been pretty happy with Windsor chain. Seems to also be a good compromise of hardenss and durability. I have had some customers break a few chains, but myself I have had no problems. I just picked up Carlton, and have yet to try a chain myself, but am looking forward to the opportunity. I like Stihl chain, but it is pricey. I never cared much for Oregon. Doesn't hold an edge well, and it's nearly as high priced as Stihl.

Bailey's prices for the woodsman pro chains are really good. I might try some of that :)

Thank you guys!

Baileys house brand chain used to be Carlton exclusively I believe, but now they have some that is using Oregon cutters perhaps on a Windsor chassis since both are now owned by Blount parent company. The Carlton is good chain and about as hard as it can be and still be easily filed. Their chisel chain has a slightly rounded corner profile compared to Stihl or Oregon, but his perhaps gives it the slight edge in dirty wood. I blocked up a load of 50 face cords of maple that was not super clean and totally used up one Carlton chain and a good part of another. That is four years wood, so the price of chain is pretty small part of the equation. My Stihl dealer sells both Stihl and Oregon at the same price and only about 25% more than what I can get the Carlton. Some dealers mark up their chains much more and you can save quite a bit then by shopping around. Some people that are cutting stumps or real dirty wood go thru a lot of chains. I dont think Stihl is any better at cutting dirt than Oregon and perhaps then, the easier to file Oregon might be the better way to go. 3/8 chain is pretty similar in cutter profile among brands, but .325 has some big variation and is worth comparing to get the larger or smaller profile that suits your particular size saw. Big difference in what a 35 cc or a 60 cc saw can handle.

anyone ever try laser chains?...i'm using windsor 50A now and seems to be a good chain sharpens quick and stays sharp.....been lookin' at the lasers looks like a nice chain...btw got the bailys sale catalog man got great sale prices on loops and other goodys

I've been using Laser chain with no complaints, including their special ripping chain. Seems to hold an edge real well. Important to a guy like me who is lazy and doesn't sharpen as often as he should.

Back