Carlton sp7015trx or Vermeer sc60xt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost bought a new 7015 last year but I could not justify spending seventy thousand. It would take too long to break even on the investment. There is a Vermeer sc60 working in my area; one day I stopped to watch then smiled and drove on :) I like the new 7015 Kabota however I do not like how wide the engine is on the machine. When going through a 36 inch gate that is not completely flat this machine will scrape the Engine housing on the entryway. If your area has big gated backyards this should not affect you. The newest 7015 TRX looks to sit higher than the old Deutz version not sure if the cutting depth is the same. I ended up with a used 7015 Deutz which I am familiar with and have extra parts, filters, teeth, and figured it made sense. Between the two I should be able to make them last forever. View attachment 406150View attachment 406151

Hi Dodge guy
I really enjoyed your post, I wonder if you would consider selling me one of your 7015 machines?
I really need a self propelled machine I live in Indiana

Thanks Speedy Stump Service

Well truth be told the only thing comparable between a 60tx and a 7015 is the initial cost.
As far as Vermerrs go they don't make a machine that can cut as well or as fast until they get up to the 110 hp unit and here is why
Horsepower to the ground
Horse power is lost in all methods of transference at the following rates;
Vbelts .95:1
Clogged belts .97:1
Gear to gear .95:1
90° Ring and pinion .80/1
Hydraulic pump hose motor .60:1
Torque is list through drive shaft
So with these basics in mind
60tx is hydraulic with a short drive shaft with a ring and pinion gear box
So 60hp X .60 X .80 = 28.8 hp to the ground

Carlton starts with 66 hp a v belt and a cited belt
So 66hp X .95 X .97 = 60.81 hp to the ground

So the same math apples if you use the 110 hp model. And having run both I can tell you with the ability to turn the slough speed up on the Carlton and the fact that it weighs almost 1000 lbs less and almost 24000 less there is absolutely no comparison the Carlton hands down kills the competition also at 2,25 gallons per hour with Carlton vs 4.2 on the 110 hp Vermeer
Enough said
Hope this helps have a great day

Jon I always found your posts very helpful and informative, but a SC60TX has no hydraulic cutter wheel drive, all geared.
So 60x0,95 = 57hp to the ground + 1" deeper + infinite sweep arc

While I always would prefer a wheeled unit.

I really have to question your numbers Fairbanks. I have run belt and hydro driven cutters and have not found that much difference. I have run plenty of Vermeer SC752's which are hydro/shaft and they have lots of power and are much more aggressive than their earlier belt driven models (SC672 and 665B). So I have to ask respectfully, how did you come by your numbers? Is there a publication you can post?
I do have a SC1152, 2 SC752's and a 7015tx. Maybe I'll run my own test if and when I put new teeth on them. I would want to confirm your numbers first though.

THink the vermeer gear boxes are bevel gears which are pretty efficient and not ring and pinion, ring and pinion are pretty much only used in differentials.

Most modern hydraulic loss is figured at 10% that is 5% loss on the pump side and 5% on the drive motor side. This percentage goes up as wear, tear and tolerances increase. It also goes up as the hyd oil gets hot and with friction loss from hoses, valves, fittings and filters,(proper sizing helps a lot) Those numbers seem pretty close with my two stump grinders. I have a 99 hp hydraulic drive rayco rg100 and a 79 hp carlton belt driven 8018. The they are very close however the rayco is just a wisker faster in the stump.

I'm looking to buy a 7015 carlton. I have a 2014 SC372 and a 2001 SC50tx. The SC50tx just breaks down way too much and I just throw hundreds and thousands at it all the time, because when it is running, it is kicking butt. Also, from my research, it sounds like 50-60hp + and they all grind pretty similar in speed, really hard to tell a big difference. So I was hoping to get feedback on reliability and user friendliness? Also was debating between an SC852, SC60tx, or the Carlton 7015 tracked or wheeled. I will keep the SC50tx and the SC372, so wondering what would compliment these the best? The wheeled 7015 is the easy choice, but also it will most likely go out 90% of the time and I have heard they are top heavy and a little tippy as well?

I'm in the market for a bigger machine. I'm currently running a 35hp 4012. Has anyone bought a 60tx and wish they bought a 7015 or vise versa?

The 60TX is an old machine in Vermeer's line. I would avoid it. I had the predecessor to the 60TX and it was junk. I had a Vermeer tow behind - it cut good but was built too light. Rayco has a new 74 track that looks interesting - either that or the Carlton. Let us know what you get!

Latest posts

Back