Carry/fill chain oil without spilling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is kind of unique because I need to carry chain fuel/oil in a backpack when I go on an extended hike to clean up certain trees/saplings. I could buy a 30 oz aluminum fuel can with screw on top for fuel. I might just buy another one of those for oil, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has a better idea. You know those pre-mix round cans of fuel, I wonder if that top is secure and wouldn't leak? It has to be a secure top. Once I try to fill now, I spill too much oil and it's messy. A funnel could help, but it's one more thing to carry. Does anyone know of a small can/bottle with a pour spout that has a secure no-spill top?

Lastly, I have a ms200 Stihl and the chain oil flippy cap drives me nuts. I hate it, it rarely will close. Somewhere, I recall reading a post somewhere where a guy explained (I think he might have had a photo) how/why it won't seat and how to (temporarily, at least) fix it. Does Stihl make an alternative for this saw?

TIA for help on these questions.

...Sounds like you're talking about the twist n flip flippy cap replacements.

Say, does anyone know... I called the Stihl dealer about this and he said they changed up the flippy cap to make it better and it's about $6. Do you think this new version will work any better? If not, I could try your ebay product. (Also, the ebay does not list ms200 as saw it will work for.)

Both, a 30oz for fuel and an 11oz for bar oil. 1 on each side of my backpack and chainsaw down the middle. A spare chain and scrench and rock on.

Well, heck, hate to keep bugging you, lol. You fit a chainsaw into a backpack? What size saw? Any old backpack or did you find a certain model that worked best? I'd certain rather carry it on my back than in my hand.

Is it practical to take the bar off and pack it that way? Might fit into a pack easier that way??

I guess it would only work (in a practical sense) if you were hiking for a long period before you cut.

Biker or bycyclist?

I'm imagining a 300lb bearded dude in leathers, Harley parked by the road, hiking with a backpack. Haha!

I had been using the "diff lube" bottles too but kept losing the cap. Once you loose the cap it won't be long before you find the bottle tipped over and have a real mess. (The rear carrier box on my ATV will never rust again...;))
Now I use the bottles that lemon juice comes in from the grocery store. They have little flippy caps but unlike those other flippy caps, these work great and I can't loose them. The bottle has a small enough hole that it's pretty easy to pour (well, more like squeeze) the lube into the saw.

MSR or Sigg aluminum fuel bottles here. I also use alum or SS water bottles from goodwill, for oil. I don't use those for gas as not sure of oring materials. I had some Buna N orings that fit one bottle so I know those are fuel resistant.

Echo top handle with 12 inch bar fits on bottom shelf of modified $5 garage sale Kelty pack. Good hip belt is essential. I used 3/4 copper tubing. will try to find a pic. Shock cords to retain. Carry a folding Coronoa or folding bucksaw also.
Sleeve between frame and pack holds a lopper/pruner, with point down.

edit: When our club put on the world round trial at Duluth mn, I had this pack at about 45 lbs, riding a stand up (no seat) trials motorcycle on a loop trail harder than some of our club level actual sections, and it works well. Weight is on the hip belt, reasonably low, and controllable. I have since changed the angle of the lower joint on the copper so the pack sits more upright and more stable when on the ground.

Attachments

• DSCN7588.JPG
    DSCN7588.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • DSCN7589.JPG
    DSCN7589.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • DSCN7590.JPG
    DSCN7590.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • DSCN7593.JPG
    DSCN7593.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
I use empty 1 Liter engine oil cans!
They are nicely narrow and so far never leaked.

My oil can has a large cap, and my fuel can a narrower one with an enlonged neck which makes it easier and more controlled to pour fuel.

Both cans have a window with 100 mL markings.

If I expect to need more fuel I either take two 1L cans along or opt for a larger 2L one.

I tend to hike to my property and use a small military backpack for essentials, and carry my saw in my hands.

Generally I don't care too much about spilling a few drops of oil or fuel, I just keep a cotton cloth close by and wipe spillage off the saw.
The smell of spilled oil and fuel is half the joy of using a chainsaw! :)

3 liters of fuel and 1.5 liters of oil..

$_35.JPG

Latest posts

Back