Carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seesaw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I have an opportunity to spend some time at the wood pile with one of the best. This guy has been in the saw business for 30+ years. He was instructed in Sweden (Husky) on everything from tech to carving. He also has won several logging/saw competitions. He has agreed to share some of this knowledge w/ me.
What I need is a good resource for carving bars and sprockets (1/4" chain is already in hand). I've seen them advertised in mags (don't remember which ones) usually three bars at a time. Any thoughts??? Thanks

Bailey's...That's it! I'll try them. Thanks for the heads up Todd.

There are other carving devices to consider too. There is a tool that mounts on a four and five inch angle grinder that has saw chain on the outside. This is a really useful tool for carving. I've used my for doing remodeling work in the house too. One time I used it in a tree to get rid of an old, dead stub that I couldn't cut with the chainsaw.

Be VERY careful with this grinder. Keep the wheel as flat as possible. Position the wheel so that if it kicks back it doesn't rip into you.

If you don't have an angle grinder, you'll fine it really useful when you want to smooth out the chainsaw cuts. Start with 60 grit and work your way to finer paper. The wheels I use in mine for metal work are actually cut off wheels. They are thinner and tougher than face grinding wheels and do double duty. The Milwaukee grinder is nice. Mine is at least ten years old and gets LOTS of heavy use. The Milw. has a paddle switch that is under your fingers. When you let it go, the grinder stops. NEVER get a grinder with a slide switch. A trigger switch is not real handy either.

Tom

Back