Catalpa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Is Catalpa any good for milling? I know of a construction project in the works that if approved will make available a few dozen catalpa logs in the 12-20" range. I looked it up first for BTUs to see if it would make decent firewood, but it's not much good for that when compared to good hardwoods.

thanks,
Ian

Is Catalpa any good for milling?

Well, it mills great as it is on the soft side. I personally like to work it in the woodshop because it smells like fresh cut hay when you run it through machines. Because it is on the soft side though, it's not all that great for many types of furniture. Also, doesn't make good cutting boards or anything that would wear. There are plenty of other things you can do with Catalpa though. Most things you make out of pine can be made with catalpa. It is a premier carving wood, and clear blocks of it are in demand from those folks. I've made some beautiful large picture frames from it, as it has a nice distinct grain pattern. Here is an example.
catalpa.jpg

Bottom line is, when I get a chance to mill catalpa I do. It also has above average rot resistance, but not as high as black locust or osage orange.

In this part of the gigantic midwest cornfields they once planted catalpas in groves for fence posts .By growing in confinement they grew straight .When they got to 6 to 8 inchs,ready made posts.Most of the groves are gone now days as the need for farm fencing has changed .They were an alternative to osage orange and black locust as they grew faster than both.I've never seen lumber made from this wood.

Nice picture frame. The corners never mated well on the few attempts I made and I gave up.

If those plans are approved, I may have another Mini Kentucky milling GTG down here if anyone is close enough to want to attend.

thanks for the info,
Ian

Nice picture frame. The corners never mated well on the few attempts I made and I gave up.

If those plans are approved, I may have another Mini Kentucky milling GTG down here if anyone is close enough to want to attend.

thanks for the info,
Ian

Picture frame corners drove me nuts also until I made myself a jig for the table saw with a dead on 45 degree miter fence. That and mitering both sides and tops of the frame as pairs at same time to ensure both are exact same length did the trick. I have a clamp bolted to the jig to hold down the frame sides as they are being crosscut as that also is where error can creep in.
framejig.jpg

Hey, Ky is only a good days drive from me... would be interesting weekend to drive down and do some milling with you folks. Keep me informed of any dates you come up with.

I made a jig for my belt sander to straighten up the Krookid 45 cuts my miter saw made and I bought two 45 deg clamping things to help. It's the money and the space required by that thing your jig is resting so comfortably on that is the kicker. That and also the biscuit cutter that I don't have. Here recently I looked into buying a slot cutter of the correct thickness so I could do that on the router table but it hasn't come to pass yet.

Ian

Woodshop if you were able to find a way to make it to a Ky GTG I would make it my personal mission to find you a nice Cedar log to mill up and take home with you.

There's a 70' catalpa tree in my front yard that is a contender for a takedown, 32" dbh, so I'll keep the milling use in mind when the time comes.

There's a 70' catalpa tree in my front yard that is a contender for a takedown, 32" dbh, so I'll keep the milling use in mind when the time comes.
They can get pretty plump if they get old.I've seen 3 footers accross the belly in "town" trees.

Walked the area today and there's a few good sized cherries in there too. I need to go with my Audubon Tree Field Guide and see if I can ID any more of them. Few to no leaves now so it's gonna be difficult.

Ian

There's a few small walnuts in there too. I haven't heard anything more about whether the plans are going to be approved or not yet. I'll post again when I find something out.

Ian

Latest posts

Back