Caterpillar Motor Grader Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, maybe this ain't the place to talk about a motor grader, but I bet someone either has knowledge of this equipment or can direct me to another forum that can help (I've been unsuccessful so far in finding one).

One of my three jobs is operating a CAT motor grader for the county. That's in addition to my forestry work and growing pecans on about 120 acres. I stay quite busy and haven't even put up next season's wood yet:(

I run a 140M2 model but my partner has an older 140M. The machine overheats quite regularly even when running in high gear down the highway. We pressure wash it every time we're at the shop which is only once every two months or so, but most of the time we just call in our dump truck with an onboard compressor and blow the radiators out. That helps for a while, but in just a few days it sucks up enough dirt and debris to overheat again. He might have to stop three or four times per day for a cool down.

My grader is closed up in the bottom and has very small air holes on the side panels. My partner's machine is open to the ground in the bottom and has large (3/8") holes in the doors. Much trash gets sucked in, especially when pulling ditches. Meanwhile my machine never overheats.

The leasing dealer told us they could put a kit on it to stop some of the trash, but now, with only two weeks left on the warranty, they deny saying that. They hint around that we don't clean it out enough but I normally follow behind and get in even more dust than the older grader.

Does anyone have experience with these graders or know where I can find some unbiased info.?

Reversible fan?
I don't think so, but a tech "recalibrated" the hydraulic motor fan. I believe they slow down some with wear. My newer grader does seem to have an auto reverse on it as I frequently see stuff blowing out the back and hear a different noise. Maybe the older grader is supposed to have a reverse fan but it quit for some reason. I'll check on that with the mechanic. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back