Cavity in a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smallman

Reaction score
Last year I noticed some carpenter ants at the base of my tree and I took
care of them, but in the process I had to remove a chunk of the tree at the
base. This is a maple tree and I would like to fill the cavity up with something.
I thought of filling it with cement, but I'm not sure if there is something else
that I can use. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Post some pics if you can. The ants in the tree probably were not harming it. Ants like the decayed wood. Was the chunk you removed decayed or live? Its best to find an arborist in your area to evaluate the tree.

dont fill it with anything. as was stated before, concrete kills a chain when the tree needs removed. filling the cavity will not stop any rot from accuring. In fact filling the cavity with certain materials will actually cause a decline in the wood. for example the lye that is found in portland cement mix can cause a chemical reaction when wet, and rot the wood.

Filling cavities is an old wives tale and serves no real purpose than to keep a racoon from digging a home. which can easily be accomplished by placing a heavy flower pot in front of the cavity.

hope this helps

Last year I noticed some carpenter ants at the base of my tree and I took
care of them
What did you do to get rid of them, I have sprayed em with poison and sprinkled the powder poison around the trees. All the poison is for carpenter ants. It will kill a lot of them but they still keep coming back. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Filling cavities in trees has gone out of fashion. We used to do it with expanding foam which was fun but now, we don't even excavate out the rotten wood.

you can fill it with foam insulation works well and if the tree dies no big deal to cut come on guys do hi have to teach all of you tom trees

Carpenter Ants

Carpenter ants are never the problem, they're a symptom. They can only tunnel into dead wood, as anyone who has ever cut through a stanky silver maple can tell you. If there are ants, then there is dead and decaying wood. The bigger problem will come from the removal of the base of the tree. I would call a pro out to check the structural integrity of the tree.

Carpenter ants

What did you do to get rid of them, I have sprayed em with poison and sprinkled the powder poison around the trees. All the poison is for carpenter ants. It will kill a lot of them but they still keep coming back. Sorry for the thread hijack.

I used a restricted pesticide on them which only a certified tech can
use. If you know someone who is certified in pest control they can
help you. Over the counter stuff never works. I wish you luck.

Latest posts

Back