CB 6048 owners, need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a CB 6048 Classic and I have a question about the chimney pipe. On the piece that comes straight out of the back, before the chimney goes straight up, it has a handle on it like it is made to come off to give you access to inspect it or whatever. However, I can not seem to get it to move for nothing. There are two screws that go into the side of it so I took them out and that did not help. Is this piece made to come off? I hope you guys know what I am talking about.

I want to take it off because I think the chimney is getting choked up. Here lately, sometimes when I open the door when the fire is going, the box is just full of smoke and the fire barely going. As soon as I open the door, the fire takes off.

I have a CB 6048 Classic and I have a question about the chimney pipe. On the piece that comes straight out of the back, before the chimney goes straight up, it has a handle on it like it is made to come off to give you access to inspect it or whatever. However, I can not seem to get it to move for nothing. There are two screws that go into the side of it so I took them out and that did not help. Is this piece made to come off? I hope you guys know what I am talking about.

I want to take it off because I think the chimney is getting choked up. Here lately, sometimes when I open the door when the fire is going, the box is just full of smoke and the fire barely going. As soon as I open the door, the fire takes off.

You gotta turn it counter clockwise.

I have tried that and it doesn't want to budge. I thought maybe there was a secret to it. I haven't used any type of pry bar yet, it looks like it could easily break.

I have tried that and it doesn't want to budge. I thought maybe there was a secret to it. I haven't used any type of pry bar yet, it looks like it could easily break.

Try holding some pressure on it and tap around the edge of it with a rubber mallet. The handle on them is just tacked on so you won't get far prying on that. You may wind up having to ding the edge and drive it loose with a blunt chisel if it's stuck that bad. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew the handle wouldn't take much pressure. I hope I don't need a chisel to get it loose. I will keep trying at it, I will eventually get it, I don't give up to easily when I set my mind to something.

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew the handle wouldn't take much pressure. I hope I don't need a chisel to get it loose. I will keep trying at it, I will eventually get it, I don't give up to easily when I set my mind to something.

Just don't loose your mind and beat the hell out of it :msp_w00t: I've had to tap on mine to loosen it a few times.

The tack welds on mine broke off the very first time I tried to open it. I have a small thin screwdriver I slide in the gap and hit use that to twist the lid out.
Start saving your cardboard from your garbage, about once a week I would take mine out and throw it all in with the door cracked for draft, after I started doing this, I never had an issue with crap in the chimney. It looks most impressive at night as the flames will shoot out the chimney quite far!

I was able to get it off with help from a mallet and a screwdriver. There was some crap in there but not enough to cause any trouble, at least I wouldn't think so. I don't know what is causing the problems I have been having. I am starting to think the weather plays a big factor in it.

For example, just recently, I opened the door while the damper was open and it was full of smoke just barely going. Right after I opened the door, it took off like it was suffocating for air. I am thinking the weather is the cause of that one because it doesn't happen all the time. Also, when I throw twigs in there, it seems to kill the fire. Now that could be because the twigs were just cut from the tree. I didn't fill the whole fire box with twigs, just a couple at a time but it still caused the fire to go out.

Now after seeing the chimney was not plugged, I am just going to blame it on the weather and the twigs being green.

Thanks for the help.

Back