CB reception much better if antenna mounted on headache rack/roof of pick-up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best cable is satellite coax cable, the good stuff has three layers of shielding.

Three layers of shielding?

Would that be RJ6 or RJ11?

If you really knew something about the subject you would know the RJ6 and RJ11 both offer quad shielding. Why do you insist on giving these half A$$ answers?

Me too, Joe. I only have one and it's homemade. That guy must be one of those high-dollar timber fallers. :msp_biggrin:

:msp_thumbup: mine's homemade too, it was a burnishing pad for my pool cues, I gotta hit it with a rasp a couple times and dribble some snoose juice on it to make it look atleast a little bit used

Billy Bob, I've had al lkinds of CB mounts have not really noticed a difference, but all have used high quality 'Maxrad' or 'PCTEL' antennas. Not sure which name is the brand, but we run them for CB, Marine VHF, Cell Phone, Scanners, and the Company radio....it's maybe UHF??? Not sure, I'm not a radio geek. Most of my old work trucks had everythign mounted through the roof, works great, but after you rake the antennas off a few times and the roof gets torn you get water leaks. Now that they made us start driving our own rigs for work, I mounted everything on a cabguard like you are thinking. I honestly have not noticed a drop in CB reception at all with this mount, and I am dodging trucks every day of the week, the worst problem is when they start BSing and don't call numbers.

I've also had no bad luck with stainless whips in bad weather....Olympic Peninsula and SW Washington. One benefit of the cabguard is you don't have to listen to the antennas whine and hit each other and limbs. Here are a couple pics, my old 79 Ford has cab mounts, a cb and vhf marine...ummm...'elk fishing radio'. The Toyota I drive as a work truck has from left to right, CB, VHF, and Company Radio, all work fine and seem the same as a cab mount.View attachment 204079View attachment 204080

:msp_thumbup: mine's homemade too, it was a burnishing pad for my pool cues, I gotta hit it with a rasp a couple times and dribble some snoose juice on it to make it look atleast a little bit used

Most of the guys I know make their own. My latest creation is a piece of industrial carpet with a thick rubber backing. It gives a great cushion and the price was right...as in free.

Back on topic...I've had good luck with mounting a CB antenna as high as I can and centering it on the roof or headache rack. The metal whip on the Wilson seems to hold up better than the stick antennas but they all get thrashed eventually. I carry a couple of spare whips and they change out quick.

I don't mind playing logging truck roulette. It's part of the job and I drive one myself occasionally. They're usually paying better attention than most people give them credit for. Accidents are time consuming, noisy, and require a lot of paperwork afterward. Everybody hates that. The log truck drivers are the least of my worries.

The ones that scare me are the foresters and "logging engineers". They seem to think that their increased level of responsibility gives them some special right of way status that the rest of us haven't keyed in to yet. It's always interesting to see how far up the bank they can go with their pickup when confronted with 80,000 pounds of logging truck on a blind curve or steep grade. It's also fun when they meet a loaded truck in a steep switchback and park their pickup on the high side of the turn. Eventually they figure out why the truck driver won't move down to the inside of the turn and they make a better choice. Eventually. :smile2:

So, if you are having antenna problems, will putting a co-worker on the roof holding a tin hat behind the antenna increase the power? :wink2: Then they get hit by the brush, and may be inclined to do some brush work on the road.

So, if you are having antenna problems, will putting a co-worker on the roof holding a tin hat behind the antenna increase the power? :wink2: Then they get hit by the brush, and may be inclined to do some brush work on the road.

a high wind on an open ridge top with a few close lightning strikes, yes a tin hat should help the antenna switch to active mode. :laugh:

Sounds good to me. Maybe if they have a metal plate in their head or a lot of fillings they could hold the tip of the antenna with their teeth. It's worth a try.

A caveat...don't run a big linear if you're using a human antenna extender. It might make them glow in the dark.

I don't mind playing logging truck roulette. It's part of the job and I drive one myself occasionally. They're usually paying better attention than most people give them credit for. Accidents are time consuming, noisy, and require a lot of paperwork afterward. Everybody hates that. The log truck drivers are the least of my worries.

The ones that scare me are the foresters and "logging engineers". They seem to think that their increased level of responsibility gives them some special right of way status that the rest of us haven't keyed in to yet. It's always interesting to see how far up the bank they can go with their pickup when confronted with 80,000 pounds of logging truck on a blind curve or steep grade. It's also fun when they meet a loaded truck in a steep switchback and park their pickup on the high side of the turn. Eventually they figure out why the truck driver won't move down to the inside of the turn and they make a better choice. Eventually. :smile2:

Gologit, I hear you on the accidents. Just had one road builder back his Cat 330 into another road builder's pickup....totalled the Super Duty, but no one was injured. I work with some of those foresters and engineers you talk about....most don't pay attention or even understand when they are in the way....let alone care that they are holding up a truck that is making money.....some of us know what is going on, but many don't.

Back