CBN Wheels with Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Cautiously) interested. We are talking ABN and/or CBN, not diamond right?

With your background can you objectively describe the technical differences between the Dynasaw wheels that retail for $260 and the $100 Forester wheels? Thickness? Coating material? . . .

Thanks.

Philbert

Diamond is for Carbide never for Steel. It will work but grind ratio is terrible

Abn = Amber boron Nitride
CBN = Cubic boron nitride

CBN and ABN are synthetic man made crystal's designed for higher rockwell steels 40-65rc. Amber carries a 15 -25 % premium over CBN and in this application the cost does not justify the addition performance you may see. We can do both

Plating is a rather simple process much like chrome plating. Cbn or ABN crystal are applied in a single layer on a steel core. Overall thickness depends on the grit selected.
Course grit it faster cutting but greater chance if crystal fractiure.THis is why we use to different Crystal sizes so after you wear down the larger crystal you then have finer grit to also use.
60/80 mesh would be my choice if you want a course grit.
80/120 for a better finish and technically sharper cutter.

Dynasaw is a premium product blanks are CNC cut (cyclone style) plated with ABN.
They are making good money on these I can tell you that.
Don't know anything about the forester brand ? made in China? At that cost if would have to be or be made with the lowest quality CBN.
Like anything else you get what you pay for.

If you guys want pricing info let me know but please give complete details in the wheel dimensions. I don't have the time to look up the wheel sizes for your grinder.

I need to know the
OD
Thickness
arbor
grit

ABN or CBN

Nice Job,

I had you re-plate a 8" wheel for me and it looks to be very nice. Thank You

I had posted on here that I will post a picture of it , And I will as soon as my right hand heals up. [ had to have a bone removed and still unable to use it. ]

I have only taken the re-plated wheel out of the box and looked at it.:msp_mellow:

Your welcome

If you guys want pricing info let me know but please give complete details in the wheel dimensions. I don't have the time to look up the wheel sizes for your grinder.

I need to know the
OD
Thickness
arbor
grit
ABN or CBN

Thanks for the info. In part, we are looking to you for some of the specs, because as you noted, not all CBN is the same. Frankly, we want Dynasaw quality and performance at a Harbor Freight price! We need your insight to get us the best balanced value, based upon your capabilities and efficiencies. I am assuming that the cost would go down if a number of people ordered the same wheels.

There are a variety of grinders out there. The most common (Oregon 511, Jolly Star, Speed Sharp, and copies of these) use: 5-3/4" diameter wheels with a 7/8" arbor.

Most chains can be sharpened with a 1/8" or 3/16" thick wheel, so A.S. members would be interested in both of those.

From your comments, it appears that a CBN wheel in the 80/120 grit range would be the better value/performance choice.

Philbert

Thanks for the info. In part, we are looking to you for some of the specs, because as you noted, not all CBN is the same. Frankly, we want Dynasaw quality and performance at a Harbor Freight price! We need your insight to get us the best balanced value, based upon your capabilities and efficiencies. I am assuming that the cost would go down if a number of people ordered the same wheels.

There are a variety of grinders out there. The most common (Oregon 511, Jolly Star, Speed Sharp, and copies of these) use: 5-3/4" diameter wheels with a 7/8" arbor.

Most chains can be sharpened with a 1/8" or 3/16" thick wheel, so A.S. members would be interested in both of those.

From your comments, it appears that a CBN wheel in the 80/120 grit range would be the better value/performance choice.

Philbert

Exactly and on a "1FF1" shape wheel............

Exactly and on a "1FF1" shape wheel............

Quick pricing

B1FF1 5-3/4 x 1/8 x 7/8 CBN 80-120 grit Solid New $ 150.00
B1FF1 5-3/4 x 1/8 x 7/8 CBN 80-120 grit Cyclone New $ 185.00

B1FF1 5-3/4 x 3/16 x 7/8 CBN 80-120 grit Solid New $ 160.00
B1FF1 5-3/4 x 3/16 x 7/8 CBN 80-120 grit Cyclone New $ 195.00

Quick pricing

What type of bonding??

Resin Bonded

Metal Bonded

Vitrified Wheels

What type of bonding??

Resin Bonded

Metal Bonded

Vitrified Wheels

These are plated Cbn wheel

Resin Bond can be used in a chainsaw application but maintenace of the radius is required.

Metal bond is never used in chainsaw sharpening Dry grinding and Expensive

Vitrified could be a conventional grinding wheel we make them but are not competitive as most are now imported.

superabravise Vitrified CBN same as Metal Bond

Quick pricing

These are very attractive prices.

Thank you.

Are there benefits for the cyclone design? Do the holes appreciably help to prevent overheating of the cutters?

Philbert

These are very attractive prices.

Thank you.

Are there benefits for the cyclone design? Do the holes appreciably help to prevent overheating of the cutters?

Philbert

Cyclone does help with heat but there is less CBN and added cost due to added machining.
It helps with heat, Weight, and helps to keep the wheel clean.

A solid wheel will last longer but requires a better touch from the operator and a higher quality grinder..

I have one of the cheap Harbor freight grinders and I made myself a Cyclone wheel for it and it does great.

44 elite,
the co. you work for "us diamond", do you also go by "us diamond wheel" ??

Yes

Us Diamond Wheel or Standard Diamond

I shoud also mention that I will not be able to help out any one who is currently working with one of our companies. This is for new customer's who will be using the product no re-selling!!!

Yes

Us Diamond Wheel or Standard Diamond

I shoud also mention that I will not be able to help out any one who is currently working with one of our companies. This is for new customer's who will be using the product no re-selling!!!

aahhh,
ok, that's where mine came from for my stihl usg grinder w/ 12mm arbour..
i dealt with a real nice guy i think named paul....... mayee that's you ??

I have an 8" wheel for a Silvey grinder from USD. Very good quality and price.

Today I started using the Foley 308 I bought 3 years ago and it came with a couple CBN wheels from Diamond Wheel Inc. Question is, how do you know when it's time to replace the wheel or have it replated? The 1/8" I have is a CS5-8405, I have a
3/16" but it has no writing on it. I used the 1/8" today and it seems to cut fine, but the radius seems slightly off at the outer edge. It seems a bit more pointed than the rounded edge I was seeing when I dressed the crappy wheels on my 511 knockoff. Reading back through this thread it became obvious these CBN's can't be dressed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back