CBN Wheels with Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back again.
Thought I would supply a photo of one of my then yet to be plated wheels including free engraving from Greg Costin at Dinasaw, Australia.
Nice job and all wheels laser cut and engraved. Any guys interested from the US (without trying to upset any sponsors here) may be keen to know that at current exchange rates this wheel cost me around USD$175. With postage being in the order of maybe USD$15-20 from Australia to the US they may be worth a look. Not often we send stuff your way :)

EngraveRiverland.jpg

From left to right:
1. Oregon 5 3/4 X 1/4 X 7/8" for depth gauges.
2. US Diamond Resin Bonded CBN 80 Grit 5 1/2 X 1/8 X7/8
3. (2) Foley Belsaw CBN Plated 60 Grit 5-3/4 X 3/16 X 7/8
4. (2) US Diamond Wheel Resin Bonded CBN 80 Grit 5 1/2 X 3/16 X 7/8
5. US Diamond Wheel CBN Plated 120 Grit 5 7/8 X 3/16 X 7/8 with coolant holes(Cyclone)

Very informative thread & excellent posts. I have a Stihl USG grinder and still using the AO wheels. I may consider buying one of these wheels, but over here they may cost an arm and a leg. What is a decent price in the US for the above mentioned wheels (4 or 4,8 mm needed)

thanks

Very informative thread & excellent posts. I have a Stihl USG grinder and still using the AO wheels. I may consider buying one of these wheels, but over here they may cost an arm and a leg. What is a decent price in the US for the above mentioned wheels (4 or 4,8 mm needed)

thanks

i have the same grinder as you belgian,
i got # 5 with 12 mm hole and 100 grit (?) i think, this wheel is awesome, no hot cutters anymore....moves alot of air..
not sure if i can post price here or not, course i could prolly fax you my invoice if ya like...

thanks

I'm in Australia but from what I've heard they're around the USD$230 mark?

I have a 3mm, 4.5mm, and a 7mm depth guage wheel.

nope, you are $ 100.00 over....(not including shipping)
there, i said it without saying it....

No worries mate. I had a PM from a US member here asking what I'd paid as he was quoted USD$230.
I thought it was strange that we'd be cheaper on chainsaw related gear in Australia than the US for a change. Maybe we're not ;)
I should have imported mine :(

I'm in Australia but from what I've heard they're around the USD$230 mark?

I have a 3mm, 4.5mm, and a 7mm depth guage wheel.

Matt,
Sorry for the thread creep ( me ) but do you or does anybody have a master spreadsheet or an excel program to help figure out what angles to use for what seems to be an infinite amount of chains to cut. It seems as every brand has their own but I haven't seen them all on one master.

I just bought a used 511a and and trying to learn how to sharpen as my filing wasn't exactly first rate.

thanks
A

Interesting thread.

I would sort of like to try a fancy wheel on my 510 but I don't sharpen round much anymore, except for 1/4 pitch so I'm pretty happy with my 8 inch blue ceramic wheel. And for such small cutters as 1/4, lp or .325 conventional 1/8 inch resinoid wheels do okay because there is so little metal to be removed.

With full size 3/8 round, I can see the advantage of the fancy wheels bigtime esp when you really rock a long chain. I just really rocked a bag of very long 3/8 chains a couple weeks ago (mostly semi chisel) and it made clouds of dust and mess taking them back far enough.

How about a CBN wheel for my square grinder?

One thought about using a grinder to do depth gauges. With my 510 anyway, it's essential that the motor is reversable. If I don't grind the depth gauge from the inside out (opposite direction I grind the cutter) the chain rocks too much. Maybe it's different on the oregon, etc.

Last edited:
Matt,
Sorry for the thread creep ( me ) but do you or does anybody have a master spreadsheet or an excel program to help figure out what angles to use for what seems to be an infinite amount of chains to cut. It seems as every brand has their own but I haven't seen them all on one master.

I just bought a used 511a and and trying to learn how to sharpen as my filing wasn't exactly first rate.

thanks
A

No mate I don't but it is an excellent thought. I basically have all that data available and it's certainly on the web.
You're right though about the near infinite number of variations. I basically stick with Carlton and Windsor chain but have access to most brands. I use the same angles on both brands.
Grinders make the whole "angle" thing pretty simple.
98% of the chain I sharpen is semi chisel so my standard is 30° cutter angle and 60° head angle on grinder with chain vice at 0°.
With full chisel I use 25° cutter angle, 60° head angle, and +/- 10° for chain vice depending on whether you're sharpening left or right cutters.
I use the +/- 10° on Stihl full chisel too with no problems even though I think they specify 0° like semi chisel.
Some guys I know set their grinder head angle to about 57.5° and say it stays sharper longer in dirty wood but I have never found a noticable difference when I've tried it.
In saying all that though just make sure your grinder centres properly and if not adjust it to get even cutter length when swapping from left to right. Uneven cutter length can be a big problem if "assuming" all grinders are perfectly symmetrical - they rarely are in my experience.
Sorry, waffled on a bit there :)

How about a CBN wheel for my square grinder?

I'm no expert on square even though I have a few loops but (at least with Dinasaw) you can specify any profile or wheel thickness you want for the same price. When I've looked at factory square chain it confuses me how they get the angles they do if using a round wheel:confused: Maybe they don't? I wouldn't have a clue :)

I'm no expert on square even though I have a few loops but (at least with Dinasaw) you can specify any profile or wheel thickness you want for the same price. When I've looked at factory square chain it confuses me how they get the angles they do if using a round wheel:confused: Maybe they don't? I wouldn't have a clue :)

The square grinders I've seen (like my pro sharp) use a round wheel that has been shaped on the edge to have have a long bevel on the side, and a short bevel on the end. And a sharp corner dressed between them.

Mine has fixed swinging multi stone diamond dressers to refresh those faces.

The square grinders I've seen (like my pro sharp) use a round wheel that has been shaped on the edge to have have a long bevel on the side, and a short bevel on the end. And a sharp corner dressed between them.

Mine has swinging multi stone diamond dressers to refresh those faces.

Sounds fancy mate. I was trying to work out the other day how I could profile a round wheel to get an edge like some .404" Carlton Square I have in stock but for the life of me didn't think it was possible. Maybe I can :) Just for fun anyway. I have a few old AO wheels there that I may play with.

how about a follow up to this thread now a couple years have gone past, especially from brad and matt? I've just bought my first grinder, a tecomec jolly which is presumably the same as a 511, and I'm looking for a wheel. I'm headed pretty squarely towards the ABN/CBN segment of the market and run pretty much only 3/8 .063 on most of my saws so a single wheel will get me where I need to be. I just cant keep hand sharpening 8 or 10 chains a day every day, it's killing me.

For you guys who bought the cyclone, how did it fair over a couple years, are you still on the same wheel? If not, how many times have you replated? If you replated, was the replate just as good and durable or did you wish you had bought a new wheel? How many chains do you figure you got out of a wheel? Did the speed and performance keep pretty good over the life, or did it fall off?

Thanks,
Shaun

I work for US Diamond If any form members have questions on PLated or Resin Bond Superabrasive wheels let me know. I have helped quite a few forum member's over the years. When someone calls in they normally get forwarded to my desk.

Not trying to advertise I am an product engineer not a sales guy

A cyclone will not out last a non segmented wheel as there is less contact surface area. Cyclones help to reduce weight as a few of the grinders are under powered and spinning a steel core wheel is a bit of a tax on them. There are so many variables that go into wheel life it hard to give number's. I have a few customer who have sharped any where from 6,500 -9,000 chains with one of the wheels i have made for them. He soaks all the chains over night in oil using a Plated CBN wheel 140/170 grit. It's all in the touch. I also have had guys go thru a wheel in a few hundred chains. If you keep a plated wheel from getting clogged up it will last with a good touch.

how about a follow up to this thread now a couple years have gone past, especially from brad and matt? I've just bought my first grinder, a tecomec jolly which is presumably the same as a 511, and I'm looking for a wheel. I'm headed pretty squarely towards the ABN/CBN segment of the market and run pretty much only 3/8 .063 on most of my saws so a single wheel will get me where I need to be. I just cant keep hand sharpening 8 or 10 chains a day every day, it's killing me.

For you guys who bought the cyclone, how did it fair over a couple years, are you still on the same wheel? If not, how many times have you replated? If you replated, was the replate just as good and durable or did you wish you had bought a new wheel? How many chains do you figure you got out of a wheel? Did the speed and performance keep pretty good over the life, or did it fall off?

Thanks,
Shaun

I haven't had mine for very long, but I like it so far. You notice the weight a bit as the wheel does not slow down at all when grinding, and the machine takes forever to stop when you turn it off. Unless you really lean on it, it doesn't burn cutters. It definitely doesn't leave as nice of an edge as the normal wheels do, but it's just aesthetic. They cut just the same.

6335861588_42879b0ca4_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back