CBN Wheels with Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2: Without a doubt, they are that much better! Most of my cutting is done with 3/8 chain and I have the dinasaw cyclone wheel for around year now. I cringe now if I have to sharpen a .325 chain with a stone wheel, I hate it! I stand by them enough that im buying the 1/8 inch wheel for .325 chain

+ another 1

Wishie22,

The Dinasaw Cyclone wheel uses a particle size of 0.25mm

What grit would this equal out to be?

It seems to be around coarse 60 grit, based on info pulled of an international standard chart with theoretical basic size comparisons. If you inquire back with your contact as to what their metric particle size 0.25mm is compared to in International Standard grit size, this will help you to compare products better.

I personally would be going local, way to many local shops here that conduct this type of work. If I wanted to get the best MF prices for quantity I would be doing an analysis on quantity vs shipping costs, etc. Besides Industry wise I know of some places can produce at a loss and their government will requital their loses to keep their business going, this is another thing killing US manufacturing.:cry: Notice I did say quantity not quality above, which is sad that is the way today's standards are based without knocking anyones' quality.

Was listening to Johnny Cash "Busted" when I was writing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnAYYh8gGQ

Last edited:
It seems to be around coarse 60 grit, based on info pulled of an international standard chart with theoretical basic size comparisons. If you inquire back with your contact as to what their metric particle size 0.25mm is compared to in International Standard grit size, this will help you to compare products better.

I personally would be going local, way to many local shops here that conduct this type of work. If I wanted to get the best MF prices for quantity I would be doing an analysis on quantity vs shipping costs, etc. Besides Industry wise I know of some places can produce at a loss and their government will requital their loses to keep their business going, this is another thing killing US manufacturing.:cry: Notice I did say quantity not quality above, which is sad that is the way today's standards are based without knocking anyones' quality.

Was listening to Johnny Cash "Busted" when I was writing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnAYYh8gGQ

Yep, I did some more digging and the dinasaw wheel is 60-70 grit.

The CBN wheel I just ordered is local, coming out of IL

Australia doesn't subsidise much at all mate (in particular Dinasaw) but I agree with buying local if you can - just don't include Australia in that equation as the majority of Aussies treat US made gear as buying local anyway (ie: not supporting garbage from China, India etc).

Australia doesn't subsidise much at all mate (in particular Dinasaw) but I agree with buying local if you can - just don't include Australia in that equation as the majority of Aussies treat US made gear as buying local anyway (ie: not supporting garbage from China, India etc).

Downunder is all good in my experiences. Enjoyed my brief time there back in 93, love to make it back there one day. You have a beautiful country, ocean (theirs nothing like GBR), one of my favorites. The local people were by far the friendliest I have ever met in my travels. Drinking xxxx and watching the son set on the beach. Ya I know you have better beers but I was young and the label got me. My daughter brought in a hand made & painted boomerang for a extra credit on a report she did a few weeks back.

Have a good memory while visiting the treasury. They came out with a so called indestructible note, except to heat (material was almost like a thick tyvek). A very colorful money note that supposedly couldn't be ripped, washed out or fade, etc. I asked what I would get if I tore it in half after examining it for a few seconds, the reply was the note presented in hand. I stretched it tight and bit down on the center edge, snapping the note in half. The gents eyes and facial expression:bang: said it all.

Still would recommend supporting locally if possible, keeps the neighborhood running.

Stay safe, lots of critters there to watch out for.

Downunder is all good in my experiences. Enjoyed my brief time there back in 93, love to make it back there one day. You have a beautiful country, ocean (theirs nothing like GBR), one of my favorites. The local people were by far the friendliest I have ever met in my travels. Drinking xxxx and watching the son set on the beach. Ya I know you have better beers but I was young and the label got me. My daughter brought in a hand made & painted boomerang for a extra credit on a report she did a few weeks back.

Have a good memory while visiting the treasury. They came out with a so called indestructible note, except to heat (material was almost like a thick tyvek). A very colorful money note that supposedly couldn't be ripped, washed out or fade, etc. I asked what I would get if I tore it in half after examining it for a few seconds, the reply was the note presented in hand. I stretched it tight and bit down on the center edge, snapping the note in half. The gents eyes and facial expression:bang: said it all.

Still would recommend supporting locally if possible, keeps the neighborhood running.

Stay safe, lots of critters there to watch out for.

No worries mate. I'm glad you clarified that XXXX beer thing. That is absolute garbage, along with most of the other mainstream beers.
But yeah support your local community if at all possible, times are tough.
The plastic money is an excellent idea. I'd put hundreds of dollars through the wash accidently before it's conception and it never came out alive :)

Post getting a bit old but received my ABN/CBN wheel from Dinasaw this morning (145mm x 4.5mm x 22.2mm). Just finished sharpening about 14 chains of my own and only have one word to say - unreal. Cost was AUD$230 inc. GST delivered.
I sharpened these chains extremely quickly (3/8" semi chisel Carlton, Windsor, and Stihl), taking off a fair bit of damage and material on a few and did not overheat one tooth. I even laid right into a few teeth with no dire results. The finish was a bit rough for the first few chains but as expected it seemed to smooth off a bit and from about the 6th chain on the finish was as smooth as my previous wheels. I gather some of the looser ABN/CBN particles came free - a bit like how a diamond knife sharpener wears in and improves after a bit of use.
Only issue I can see is that this wheel is pretty heavy and the Speed Sharp started a bit slower than normal. I've just emailed Greg Costin at Dinasaw to get a 7mm depth guage wheel. I know the standard is 6mm but when the cutters are right back I've found a 6mm wheel has little room for error. May be a bit too heavy though so unsure just how much they can be lightened off. Very blurry picture below.
03082009353.jpg

If you don't sharpen many chains one of these is probably not worth the cost but my biggest concern was dust - basically airborne dust is now non existant. I had been wearing a dust mask up till now and the finer particles could be found on things and smelt up to 10m away.

I've followed the discussions on this subject with interest but unless I missed it I haven't seen anyone address the (most likely significantly?) higher weight than any stone wheel that might be put on one these chain grinders. Anyone have any input on the liklihood of early bearing wear with the heavier wheel?

mine just showed up today, put it on the grinder right away, man does that thing ever move some air !!!!!

now i gotta go cut a rock inhalf so i have a good specimine for it's maiden voyage...

I've followed the discussions on this subject with interest but unless I missed it I haven't seen anyone address the (most likely significantly?) higher weight than any stone wheel that might be put on one these chain grinders. Anyone have any input on the liklihood of early bearing wear with the heavier wheel?

I have a 4.5mm Dinasaw wheel that starts a bit slower than the normal wheels but that's not a big problem to me, the motor on my Speed Sharp seems to be a "soft start" anyway. I have a 3mm one ordered and also a 7mm wheel for depth guages. I have asked Greg Costin at Dinasaw if the 7mm wheel can be lightened as the weight was concerning me - I don't think lightening it will be a problem.

Latest posts

Back