Upgrading Cheap Saw to Full Chisel Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronco_buster

Reaction score
I've inherited a Husqvarna 240. Kind of a dog with the safety chain on it. I'm wondering if there are replacement chains that are full chisel, pro type chains for it, or am I locked in to safety type chains because of its homeowner intended philosophy of use? I tried upgrading an electric saw chain one time and was told that the particular saw would not pull anything but a safety type chain.

You can get stihl full chisel 3/8lp for it, they call it picco.
I bought 8ten full chisel for my small saws, it had huge safety links on it out of the box. A few minutes with a bench grinder and now I have full chisel 3/8 lp chain with cutters as big as .325 chain.
The top bar/chain is oregon 3/8lp, the bottom one is the 8ten 3/8lp with the safety humps ground off it, check out the difference in the size of the cutters.
DSCN0311.JPG

Any chain with the right pitch, and number of drivers will fit. I would try a semi-chisel chain without the safety bumpers for all around cutting. You might also try switching to a shorter bar, it makes a big difference on cutting speed with the small saws.

The Stihl full chisel 3/8lp "Picco" is labeled PS. The reduced kickback version, which cuts just as fast except for bore cuts, is PS3.

Latest posts

Back